UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Testbench for VDMA on vivado 2017.3

Jump to solution

Hello, dear FPGA enthusiasts!

Currently, I have been working with my OV7670 camera and can present it on an HDMI screen.

However, this was done without a simulation.

What I want to do right now is to use a TPG provided from Xlinix in my design and remove the OV7670 fully.

However, the problem is that I really don't know how to go next since I am using uB together with a VDMA and TPG.

I know that you can include the ELF file from the uB in order to simulate your design together with uB.

My question to you is where I can find C code for the TPG used in the nexys video board?

Is there any guidelines or documents that provide information on how I have to set up my design before I simulate AXI4 peripherals. 

Do I need to create my own testbench or is there testbench's out there that are already done?

Initially, I was using the ILA to test my peripherals but that is a very ineffective way of testing my models since it takes a lot of time and it is hectic to recompile when I make a small change.

I have attached my block design.

I have checked the https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_vdma/v6_2/pg020_axi_vdma.pdf and found a testbench on page 68 Figure 5‐1 in the datasheet. However, there is no link that shows where you can get it.

Currently I have been downloading the following examples:

Xapp741- Could not open it though, complaining on "const is a hardware description language".

xapp742

xapp128_vdma

regards,

John

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Testbench for VDMA on vivado 2017.3

Jump to solution

Oh, I just had to press on "open IP example" when I place the VDMA example in my block design.

Thought I was suppose to get the example from the xapp_xxx examples provided by the page.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @azurath,

I know that you can include the ELF file from the uB in order to simulate your design together with uB

> A simpler case would be to use an AXI VIP to configure the registers. Else you might want to look at xapp1180.

I have checked the https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_vdma/v6_2/pg020_axi_vdma.pdf and found a testbench on page 68 Figure 5‐1 in the datasheet. However, there is no link that shows where you can get it.

> The documentation is quite clear though. "Example Design Test Bench". And it is in the chapter Example design. So you just need to generate the example design as per section "Implementing the Example Design" and you will see it in the simulation sources.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello Again @florentw!

Thanks for the info, guess I was very tired yesterday. I will dig into the datasheet and double check it.

Thanks, again.

regards,

John

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Oh, I just had to press on "open IP example" when I place the VDMA example in my block design.

Thought I was suppose to get the example from the xapp_xxx examples provided by the page.

0 Kudos