UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

The psnr of encoded h265 video by vcu on the zcu106

Jump to solution

I used the zcu106.bsp to generate BOOT.BIN and image.ub by petalinux. Then I copy them to SD card and boot the board. According to pg252, I used this command to encode yuv to h265:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Runners_nv12.yuv ! videoparse width=3840 height=2160 format=nv12 framerate=60/1 ! queue ! omxh265enc gop-mode=0 gop-length=30 control-rate=2 target-bitrate=131072 quant-i-frames=20 qp-mode=0 cpb-size=500 initial-delay=500 ! filesink location="/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ouput_16.h265"

The gop mode is IPIP. There is no B frame. The bitrate control method is CBR. When I change the target bitrate from 4M to 16M, the PSNR did not change much and only increased by 1 db. This does not match the coding principle. I don't know where the error is. Is there any parameter setting wrong?

Also, the Quantization parameter for P-frames are automatically changed according to I-frames's.

What can I do? 

Thanks,

hgtcs

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: The psnr of encoded h265 video by vcu on the zcu106

Jump to solution

Hi @hgtcs,

It is hard to comment on psnr as it is depending on multiple inputs and there are multiple criteria to evaluate the pnsr which are different between companies.

You can start with the VCU TRD and try the different parameters to give you some ideas and get the best option for your application

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @hgtcs,

It is hard to comment on psnr as it is depending on multiple inputs and there are multiple criteria to evaluate the pnsr which are different between companies.

You can start with the VCU TRD and try the different parameters to give you some ideas and get the best option for your application

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

As @florentw mentioned, PSNR is content dependent.  Also there are various parameters you can adjust.  If you search through the VCU Product Guide PG252 for quality you will find it tied to many of the parameters.  We also have a section in Appendix A called Tuning Visual Quality with some general guidelines and suggestions on ways to improve the quality.

Chris
Video Design Hub | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @hgtcs,

If my replies from @chrisar or from me is enough for you, please kindly mark one of them as accepted solution (click on acctept as solution below the reply while logged in) to close the topic.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos