Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Translating KC705 DisplayPort project to custom board

Jump to solution

I'm trying to port a DisplayPort project that works on the KC705 development board to our custom board.  This project is built around the xapp1178 example project.  It receives DisplayPort Video into the FPGA.  I'm having issues with the I2C-over-Aux channel transactions.   I have boiled down the two projects to be almost identical except that one runs on the KC-705 (XC7K325T Kintext FPGA) and the other runs on our custom board with an XC7K160T Kintex FPGA.

I have an Aux channel monitor in series with the Aux transactions and both boards send/receive 'Native' Aux transactions just fine.  However, as soon as the IP switches over to sending I2C-over-Aux signals, my custom board keeps sending I2C_NACKs.  The DisplayPort data sheet suggests that I2C transactions will occur much more slowly than Native Aux transactions.   

I've probed both boards with an oscilloscope and the signal levels all seem consistent. 

I feel like the problem is that some kind of board-specific constraint gets established when I build my project for the KC705.  But as soon as I specify a specific FPGA part, there is some constraint that does not get implemented.

Does anyone know of some setting that must be specified to properly send I2C-over-Aux for DisplayPort IP?  Or is there a way to figure out why the KC-705 board is handing these transactions well - but my custom board is not?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Translating KC705 DisplayPort project to custom board

Jump to solution

Hi @efpkopin 

Do you use DisplayPort LogiCORE IP ?

If yes, it's obsoluted.

Would you refer PG199 (DisplayPort TX Subsystem, PG233 (DisplayPort RX Subsystem) and their example design which is genarated by Vivado ?

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @efpkopin 

Do you use DisplayPort LogiCORE IP ?

If yes, it's obsoluted.

Would you refer PG199 (DisplayPort TX Subsystem, PG233 (DisplayPort RX Subsystem) and their example design which is genarated by Vivado ?

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

HI @efpkopin 

As mentioned by @watari  and as per previous topic, the logiCORE DIsplayport IP is obsolete and not anymore supported by Xilinx. Only the Displayport Subsystems IPs are supported by Xilinx.

You can always refer to the list of known issues for the core (archived and not maintained): AR#54522

However, do not expect further support from Xilinx on this topic.

Thank you for your understanding,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
I was able to use the DisplayPort_Rx Subsystem and the example design discussed in PG233 to generate a system and confirm that my I2C-over-Aux signals are being communicated from my FPGA to the GPU 'source' properly. Thanks to you and @florentw for the help.