UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

UHDSDI_GT_v1_0 : How to add generate/add to IPI?

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

UHDSDI_GT_v1_0 : How to add generate/add to IPI?

Hi,

I have generated the example design for UHD-SDI design targeted to ZCU106. I am trying to build a copy of it targeting the ZCU102 board.

UHDSDI_GT

When we look close into the block design, we have a hidden IP uhdsdi_gt_v1.0. (as shown in attachment Capture2.png).

The IP is not visible in IP catalog and IPI IP list. However, the IP files are available in the Vivado install directory.(as can be seen in attachment Capture1.png). How do we add access or add this IP to the block design? 

Porting SDI Example to ZCU102

I have tried few ways to port ZCU106 SDI example design to ZCU102 but could not port it successfully. 

1) Generated the example design and changed the target to ZCU102. 

Results - All IPs go to lock status. I do not get an option to upgrade and recustomize IPs.

2) Modifying the example design generation tcl script(sdi_ex_passthru_1ch_zcu106.ttcl) located at the path "C:\Xilinx\patches\AR70593_Vivado_2017_4_preliminary_rev1\vivado\data\ip\xilinx\v_smpte_uhdsdi_rx_ss_v1_0\exdes" to target ZCU102 and XCZU9EG.

Results - The script runs halfway, generating an error. (as shown in Capture3.png). 

Am trying to resolve these errors. However, just want to check if there is a simpler way of porting the example design to ZCU102? 

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay Kumar G

Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: UHDSDI_GT_v1_0 : How to add generate/add to IPI?

Hi,

I could add the UHDSDI_GT v1.0 IP by using the following TCL command (taken from UHDSDI RX SS example design gen tcl)

# Create instance: uhdsdi_gt_0, and set properties
  set uhdsdi_gt_0 [ create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:ip:uhdsdi_gt uhdsdi_gt_0 ]
  set_property -dict [ list \
   CONFIG.C_DRP_CLK_FREQ {100.0} \
   CONFIG.C_Rx_PLL_Selection_INTF_0 {1} \
   CONFIG.C_Rx_Refclk_Sel_INTF_0 {5} \
   CONFIG.C_Tx_PLL_Selection_INTF_0 {2} \
   CONFIG.C_Tx_Refclk_Sel_INTF_0 {1} \
 ] $uhdsdi_gt_0

I am yet to figure out a way to clear others errors related to compact_gt_ctrl module. However, I am closing this post as it answers the basic question in the subject.

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay Kumar G

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

Hi,

I could add the UHDSDI_GT v1.0 IP by using the following TCL command (taken from UHDSDI RX SS example design gen tcl)

set uhdsdi_gt_0 [ create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:ip:uhdsdi_gt uhdsdi_gt_0 ]
 ] $uhdsdi_gt_0

I am yet to figure out a way to clear others errors related to compact_gt_ctrl module. However, I am closing this post as it answers the basic question in the subject.

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay Kumar G

[ Edited ]

Hi @ajaykumargurrala,

The UHDSDI_GT v1.0 IP is what we call an helper core. It is used in the example design to show a feature but it is not fully supported by Xilinx (we expect users to build their own core). This is why it is not available in the IP catalog.
EDIT: Unlike other helper core, this one is fully supported. You can use the TCL command for know. The IP will be added publicly to the IP catalog in a future version

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Contributor

Hi @florentw,

Thank you very much for the details on the idea of helper cores. I was using this for evaluation only. However, this IP seems to be of great help in creating a full IPI based design for SDI applications. Any plans of making this a full fledged IP?

Otherwise, I had to create a IPI without GT and then link these two in RTL.

Prior to this, I have tried creating a block design for SDI TX-RX external loopback system. I was able to add other IPs to BD but I could not add a GT instance. I have tried instantiating GT in RTL and adding RTL as a block to BD again but I used get an error saying the module used doesn't support referencing. I have not yet tried packing it as an IP and then adding it. Did I miss out anything or would packing it as an IP help me in doing this?

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay Kumar G

[ Edited ]

Hi @ajaykumargurrala,

EDIT:

The correct way to add the GT for the UHD-SDI Subsystems is to generate the uhdsdi_gt_wrapper using the TCL command that you used.

] $uhdsdi_gt_0

Unlike most of the “helper IP”, the uhdsdi_gt_wrapper is a supported IP and it should be used when using the UHD-SDI Subsystems.

We’ve told the development team that this is confusing, and they are going to address this. They will add any necessary documentation to the UHD-SDI Subsystem Product Guides.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Contributor

Thank you for the confirmation Florent. In such a case i can use this IP in my target design as well.