UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor zshattler
Visitor

Using ADV7511 for HDMI Output on KCU105 at the Hardware Level

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I've looked through many of the previous forum posts related to this subject, but I'm still a bit confused on how one goes about using the ADV7511 HDMI output chip in a purely-VHDL based synthesized system (no operating system or microprocessor involved) on a KCU105 dev board. 

In particular, I have a video stream that has been converted from a CameraLink data format to what I believe is a format compatible with the ADV7511 (i.e., 16 data bits, hsync and vsync, a data enable/frame valid signal, and 25 MHz pixel clock). Assuming that my formatting, timing, etc. for these signals is done properly, do I need to do anything beyond hooking up the video stream to the available pins of the ADV7511 in my constraint file, as per the KCU105 User Guide? Looking through the other posts it almost seems like some sort of software-level control is necessary to actually command the chip to output, which ideally I would like to avoid.

I'm sorry if this is a question that has already been answered here, I'm relatively new to both large-scale FPGA design like this as well as hardware implementations of video interfaces, so I very well may have previously overlooked a solution that was staring me right in the face. If anybody could give some advice, or even just point me in the right direction to getting this figured out, I would sincerely appreciate it! 

Thank you, 

Zach

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Using ADV7511 for HDMI Output on KCU105 at the Hardware Level

Jump to solution

Hi @zshattler

I ask you some question.

1) Do you want to output video signal as similer ITU BT. 1120 with external V-Sync, H-Sync and Data Enable to ADV7511 ?

2) What resolution do you want to output ?

I'm not sure. But I guess you have the following problems, if my understanding is correct.

- Not suitable output video signal. Not BT. 1120

- You should to set some parameter in ADV7511 via I2C or other interfcase. However you didn't set them.

- Make sure video timing and resolution. You must make sure capability of ADV7511.

Best regards,

4 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @zshattler

I ask you some question.

1) Do you want to output video signal as similer ITU BT. 1120 with external V-Sync, H-Sync and Data Enable to ADV7511 ?

2) What resolution do you want to output ?

I'm not sure. But I guess you have the following problems, if my understanding is correct.

- Not suitable output video signal. Not BT. 1120

- You should to set some parameter in ADV7511 via I2C or other interfcase. However you didn't set them.

- Make sure video timing and resolution. You must make sure capability of ADV7511.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

Hi @zshattler,

As mentioned by @watari, to use the ADV7511, you need to configure it through i2c.

It is easy to configure it with a processor and this is most of the examples you will find. You might want to implement a small microblaze just for this purpose. It should not take you much resources.

Removing the processor will add way more complexity.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Visitor zshattler
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @watari and @florentw,

First of all, thank you for your quick responses! I appreciate you both taking the time to help me. 

Both of your posts are likely exactly what I'm doing wrong; Analog Device's documentation for the ADV7511 was so sparse that I had no idea there was so much setup required! Knowing where to start is a big help. I'll look into the BT 1120 standard (unless it only applies to 1080p video? We're trying to send 640x480...) as well as setting up/using a Microblaze on the dev board to send over those I2C config commands to the chip. From there I think I should just be able to follow the tutorials provided through Xilinx or AD on how to configure it, but might end up coming back here for help if I get stuck again along the way. :) 

Thank you both so much again for the help! Is there any way I can accept both answers as solutions...? At the very least I'll kudo both of you! 

Best, 

Zach

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @zshattler,

No you cannot accept  2 replies as solutions. You can do it for @watari, this is ok for me ;)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**