UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VDMA and Memory

Jump to solution

Hello!

Help me please.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/VDMA-amp-write-to-memory/m-p/845703#M19507 - in this addres described my project. But i have some problem. When vdma write to memory it makes large gaps between the first row and the second (u can see on image)

Tags (1)
321542g345234.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: VDMA and Memory

Jump to solution

No much information to go on but I would suspect that you need to check the size of the "Stride" that is programmed in the VDMA. 

There are 4 main values to program for the VDMA :

• Beginning Address(es) - The address where the first pixel will be stored for each buffer
  • Vertical Size - The number of vertical lines in the buffers (measured in the # of lines)
  • Horizontal Size - The number of pixels in each line (measured in bytes)
  • Horizontal Stride - The number of bytes from the start of one line to the start of the next line (measured in bytes).  Stride must always be >= to Horizontal Size.

When the stride is the same size as Hsize, the second line is next to the last pixel of line one.  When the stride is larger than Hsize, there will be a gap between the end of line one and the start of line 2.  That distance will be (Stride - Hsize) measured in bytes.

Also, you may already know this but it is worth repeating.  Hsize must be the last action in a programming sequence.  Values written to the VDMA registers are held in shadow registers until a value is written to the Hsize register.  Once the Hsize register is written, all of the shadow registers are accepted and used starting on the next frame.  Any values written after Hsize, will be held in the shadow registers until the next time Hsize is written.

Hope this helps.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

No much information to go on but I would suspect that you need to check the size of the "Stride" that is programmed in the VDMA. 

There are 4 main values to program for the VDMA :

• Beginning Address(es) - The address where the first pixel will be stored for each buffer
  • Vertical Size - The number of vertical lines in the buffers (measured in the # of lines)
  • Horizontal Size - The number of pixels in each line (measured in bytes)
  • Horizontal Stride - The number of bytes from the start of one line to the start of the next line (measured in bytes).  Stride must always be >= to Horizontal Size.

When the stride is the same size as Hsize, the second line is next to the last pixel of line one.  When the stride is larger than Hsize, there will be a gap between the end of line one and the start of line 2.  That distance will be (Stride - Hsize) measured in bytes.

Also, you may already know this but it is worth repeating.  Hsize must be the last action in a programming sequence.  Values written to the VDMA registers are held in shadow registers until a value is written to the Hsize register.  Once the Hsize register is written, all of the shadow registers are accepted and used starting on the next frame.  Any values written after Hsize, will be held in the shadow registers until the next time Hsize is written.

Hope this helps.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Great explanation; I agree completely with Ted.

Small correction:

Also, you may already know this but it is worth repeating.  Hsize must be the last action in a
programming sequence. Values written to the VDMA registers are held in shadow registers until a value
is written to the Hsize register. Once the Hsize register is written, all of the shadow registers are
accepted and used starting on the next frame. Any values written after Hsize, will be held in the
shadow registers until the next time Hsize is written.

The above description is correct for VSIZE register, not HSIZE.

www.xilinx.com
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Hi, @tedbooth
Thanks for help!
0 Kudos