UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor banschu
Visitor

VDMA reset recovery timing violation

Jump to solution

I have a single reset recovery timing violation located within the AXI VDMA IP (version 6.3, in Vivado 2017.4). My S2MM AXIS slave clock is 85 MHz and S2MM AXI master clock is 100 MHz. The violation is a result of a reset on a FIFO that uses the 100MHz clock being driven by a flop clocked at 85MHz.

Is it safe to set_false_path to ignore this timing violation?

NameSlackLevelsRoutesHigh FanoutFromToTotal DelayLogic DelayNet DelayRequirementSource ClockDestination ClockException
Path 445-1.54123[x]/axi_vdma_0/U0/GEN_SPRT_FOR_S2MM.S2MM_LINEBUFFER_I/GEN_S2MM_FLUSH_SOF_LOGIC.GEN_LINEBUFFER_FLUSH_SOF.GEN_ASYNC_FIFO_FLUSH_SOF.LB_BUILT_IN.I_LINEBUFFER_FIFO/fg_builtin_fifo_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gconvfifo.rf/gbi.bi/g7ser_birst.rstbt/rsync.ric.wr_rst_reg_reg/C[x]/axi_vdma_0/U0/GEN_SPRT_FOR_S2MM.S2MM_LINEBUFFER_I/GEN_S2MM_FLUSH_SOF_LOGIC.GEN_LINEBUFFER_FLUSH_SOF.GEN_ASYNC_FIFO_FLUSH_SOF.LB_BUILT_IN.I_LINEBUFFER_FIFO/fg_builtin_fifo_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gconvfifo.rf/gbi.bi/v7_bi_fifo.fblk/gextw[1].gnll_fifo.inst_extd/gonep.inst_prim/gf36e1_inst.sngfifo36e1/RST1.050.400.651.95bclk_85_[x]bclk_100_[x] 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VDMA reset recovery timing violation

Jump to solution

Hi @banschu 

As you are working on 7-series you might want to check the following AR:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71984.html

There are missing constraints for the VDMA when the stream and Memory mapped interfaces are using different clocks.

You might want to use 2019.1 to avoid this issue (or use the constraints mentioned in the AR).

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @banschu,

I would not recommend setting a false path. I don't know enough about the internal logic of the FIFO36 to know if this will be an issue or not.

However, this should not be an issue in the first place. Are you in 7-Series, US or US+?

If you open up a schematic and select the FIFO, in the Cell Properties menu, is the FIFO set so Synchronous or Asynchronous?

In 7 series, this is the DO_REG (UG743)

In US/US+, this is CLOCK_DOMAINS (UG573/UG974)

I am guessing that for some reason this is set to Synchronous in your system. 

-Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Visitor banschu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello @samk 

This is 7-Series logic (Zynq). The FIFO appears to bet set as Asynchronous. DO_REG=1, but I think you want to know EN_SYN=false.

image.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @banschu 

As you are working on 7-series you might want to check the following AR:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71984.html

There are missing constraints for the VDMA when the stream and Memory mapped interfaces are using different clocks.

You might want to use 2019.1 to avoid this issue (or use the constraints mentioned in the AR).

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Hi @banschu,

Thank you for checking, it looks like Florent found an AR that addresses the issue, and it looks like a false path will solve the problem.

Regards,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub