UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VDMA vs Video FrameBuffer R/W IP Cores

Jump to solution

Going through the documentation of both IP core, it seems these two cores functionality is overlapping. In our video application we wish to just buffer and push the video into DDR ram. Is it fair to assume that FrameBuffer Write is all we need? When do we need a full VDMA core?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VDMA vs Video FrameBuffer R/W IP Cores

Jump to solution
VDMA usage with MM2S disabled would be fine.

The Framebuffer read/write were written for VCU use cases in ZU+ devices because it expects specific format of the video data in memory.
www.xilinx.com
4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Hi @ziladdev,

Yes both core have the samd functionality. You could do write only with the VDMA also.
However I recommend to use the frame buffer as it seems to slowly replace the VDMA (better for Linux, better performance...)

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

Jump to solution

Hi @ziladdev,

If everything is clear for you, please kindly close the topic by marking a reply as accepted solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

I have started using Video Frame Buffer instead of the VDMA, besides being a bit awkward. For instance, I had to pad the stream since for YUV422 it still expects 3x(8bits) components while my Video In to AXI4 spits outs 2x(8bits), this was clearly documented so no big deal.

One thing I noticed is that in terms of utilization it is using 2x DSP slices while VDMA uses none...I am wondering why would one need this for this function? I see the HLS logo on the actual block design and I was wondering if one had access to the (C/C++?) source code of the IP core ... (perhaps not!).

Anyways my design is quite heavy on the use of DSPs and It may happen that I will revert back to using VDMA...

Any views on this?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
VDMA usage with MM2S disabled would be fine.

The Framebuffer read/write were written for VCU use cases in ZU+ devices because it expects specific format of the video data in memory.
www.xilinx.com