UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

VPSS ip Timing Violation

Jump to solution

Hi,

There are many timing violations when I using Video Processing Subsystem (v2.0),Xilinx's ip is a blackbox which I cannot change it's code.So,how can I eliminate the timing violation?

Violation path:  MIG-->MMCM-->VPSS

2.png

4.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: VPSS ip Timing Violation

Jump to solution

Hi @gandics

> 1) I want to isolate data and clock between each module,by using FIFO and MMCM,to avoid timing violation.Are there any other solutions?

Would you use "set_false_path" setting to ignore clock domain crossing, if possible ?

I guess, almost all timing violation are ignorble.

But I can not confirm them without timing report.

> 2) Bandwidth might not enough if I change the Pixel Per Clock configuration.Are there any other solutions?

What do you mean "Bandwidth" ? Do you use external DRAM as frame buffer ?

If there is DRAM as frame buffer, you should change dram clock frequency.

If there is not DRAM, you should change line buffer size.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @gandics,

By using a slower clock .

You might want to change you Pixel Per Clock configuration

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @gandics,

In addition to @florentw's suggestion, it may also help you to take a look at the VPSS's example designs. These are detailed in chapter 5 of PG231

2018-09-24 09_19_48-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2017.2 -  http___www.xilinx.com_support_documenta.png

-Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

Thanks for your advise!

I am using xc7a200tfbg676-2 device with 4 channel 1080p(1920x1080 148.5MHz) inputs.

According to the datasheet,VPSS  Maximum Frequencies Artix® -7 devices with –2 speed grade or higher is 150 MHz.

Input delay and clock constrains added,timing is ok,when I connect 4 channel input to the same ports. However,timing violation appearance when I connect to the individual input ports.

Dataflow and Utilization below.

VIP:

( vid2axi4s -> vpss ) x4 -> mix -> axi4s2vid

jiagou.png

Utilization.png

Here is my questions:

1) I want to isolate data and clock between each module,by using FIFO and MMCM,to avoid timing violation.Are there any other solutions?

2) Bandwidth might not enough if I change the Pixel Per Clock configuration.Are there any other solutions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @samk

Thanks for your advise!

I am using xc7a200tfbg676-2 device with 4 channel 1080p(1920x1080 148.5MHz) inputs.

According to the datasheet,VPSS  Maximum Frequencies Artix® -7 devices with –2 speed grade or higher is 150 MHz.

Input delay and clock constrains added,timing is ok,when I connect 4 channel input to the same ports. However,timing violation appearance when I connect to the individual input ports.

Dataflow and Utilization below.

VIP:

( vid2axi4s -> vpss ) x4 -> mix -> axi4s2vid

jiagou.png

Utilization.png

Here is my questions:

1) I want to isolate data and clock between each module,by using FIFO and MMCM,to avoid timing violation.Are there any other solutions?

2) Bandwidth might not enough if I change the Pixel Per Clock configuration.Are there any other solutions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @gandics

> 1) I want to isolate data and clock between each module,by using FIFO and MMCM,to avoid timing violation.Are there any other solutions?

Would you use "set_false_path" setting to ignore clock domain crossing, if possible ?

I guess, almost all timing violation are ignorble.

But I can not confirm them without timing report.

> 2) Bandwidth might not enough if I change the Pixel Per Clock configuration.Are there any other solutions?

What do you mean "Bandwidth" ? Do you use external DRAM as frame buffer ?

If there is DRAM as frame buffer, you should change dram clock frequency.

If there is not DRAM, you should change line buffer size.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @watari

Thanks for your reply!

1)Following your suggestion,I check the timing report(appendix:Timing_report.xls)

There are thousands of violations for the VPSS Intra-Clock path,which in the same clock domain,no clock domain crossing.
Almost all of the violations are the RST signal(for the FDRE,DSP48E,...)

I will reset&reconfigure VPSS mode in run-time for the resolution changing,so i think these RST signal violations might need to be removed.

2)Yes,I use 2 external DDR3-SDRAM as frame buffer for VPSS.

For 4 channel VPSS dataflow,1920*1080p @ 60fps,RGB(24bit),m_axi_mm bus(wr&rd)
Bandwith required: 4 * 1920columns * 1080rows * 60fps * 24bit * 2 = 2985 MByte/s

For 2* DDR3-SDRAM
Bandwith provided: 800Mhz * (16+16)bit = 3200 MByte/s

If sample per clock is 2
Bandwith required: 2985 * 2 >  3200 MByte/s

I am not sure whether calculated correctly or not ^_^

MIG configuration file below:

<MemoryDevice>DDR3_SDRAM/Components/MT41J128M16XX125</MemoryDevice>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
<TimePeriod>2500</TimePeriod>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
<VccAuxIO>1.8V</VccAuxIO>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
<PHYRatio>4:1</PHYRatio>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
<InputClkFreq>200</InputClkFreq>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
<UIExtraClocks>0</UIExtraClocks>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
<MMCM_VCO>800</MMCM_VCO>
        <MMCMClkOut0>1.000</MMCMClkOut0>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
<MMCMClkOut1>1</MMCMClkOut1>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
<MMCMClkOut2>1</MMCMClkOut2>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
<MMCMClkOut3>1</MMCMClkOut3>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
<MMCMClkOut4>1</MMCMClkOut4>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
<DataWidth>32</DataWidth>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
<DeepMemory>1</DeepMemory>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
<DataMask>1</DataMask>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        <ECC>Disabled</ECC>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
<Ordering>Normal</Ordering>                                                                                                                                                                  <BankMachineCnt>4</BankMachineCnt>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
<CustomPart>FALSE</CustomPart>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              <NewPartName></NewPartName>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
<RowAddress>14</RowAddress>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   <ColAddress>10</ColAddress>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
<BankAddress>3</BankAddress>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     <MemoryVoltage>1.5V</MemoryVoltage>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
<UserMemoryAddressMap>BANK_ROW_COLUMN</UserMemoryAddressMap>

Thanks!  
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw

Oh~I understand what your mean!

Using 2  Pixel Per Clock will not enlarge the bandwith require,bandwith depend on input resolution and frame rate.

I will use slower clock for microblaze axi control clock and stream data axis clock.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @watari

After replying your post,I calculate and consider again.

Using 2  Pixel Per Clock will not enlarge the bandwith require,bandwith depend on input resolution and frame rate.

I will use slower clock for microblaze axi control clock and stream data axis clock.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @gandics,

Do you have any updates on this?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Thank you!:)
0 Kudos