UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

VPSS - scaler only mode in 4ppc

Jump to solution

Hello,

My input video stream  is in 4 pixels per clock. I need to use the VPSS to upscale it.

But, it seems the linux driver does only support 1 and 2 ppc mode while the HW can configure the scaler up to 4 ppc.

Is there a plan to update the linux driver? Or, is there a way to configure it (outside the driver) to enable the 4PPC?

If I need to downgrade to 2 PPC, how would you do it?

Thanks.

--Sebastien
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: VPSS - scaler only mode in 4ppc

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw ,

Thanks for the follow up. We're able to backport the scaler driver from git (current head version) to 2018.3 currently used on our project.

It solved the issue and the video chain in the PL part can stay full 4PPC.

--Sebastien
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @sebo 

Is there a plan to update the linux driver?

[Florent]  - Yes, I believe this should be in 2019.2

It seems to be already available on the master branch on github:

https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/commit/2f547b734cdf2af308820663495c48861bfb489c

Or, is there a way to configure it (outside the driver) to enable the 4PPC?

[Florent]  - You could check the AXI4-Lite transactions required to configure the subsystems and then use the devmem in the linux user space. Or port the baremetal driver. But then you cannot use the V4l2 framework (and thus GStreamer).

If I need to downgrade to 2 PPC, how would you do it?

[Florent] - To change the PPC, you could use the AXI4-Stream Data Width converter IP as shown in my Video Series 12. However I am not sure how this integrates in the V4L2 framework.

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@florentw 

Thanks. I'll have a look at the video series. We'll go for the driver backport for now.

As baremetal programming is concerned, the vpss documentation does not give the memory map and register details. Where is this information?

Regards,

--Sebastien
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @sebo 

As baremetal programming is concerned, the vpss documentation does not give the memory map and register details. Where is this information?

[Florent] - The register space is given in the latest version of the PG231 (May 22, 2019). Howerver this is only for debugging purposes. Xilinx does not support direct access to the registers.

In baremetal users should use the drivers

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Your video series #12 (Different ppc configuration between interfaces) does not talk about the AXI stream FIFO does it?

Is such ip is to be used if the stream cannot be halted. That's what I'm trying to use to handle the scaler in 2PPC while my stream is in 4PPC (input)

--Sebastien
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sebo 

In the Video series 13 I am using a AXI4-Stream data FIFO.

I am not sure why you are seeing that the stream cannot be halted. Maybe you need to make sure you reset (empty) the FIFO when the stream is halted to make sure the pipe is cleared

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sebo 

Did you get all the answers you needed from me on this topic?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw ,

Thanks for the follow up. We're able to backport the scaler driver from git (current head version) to 2018.3 currently used on our project.

It solved the issue and the video chain in the PL part can stay full 4PPC.

--Sebastien