UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPhy Log

Jump to solution

Does anybody know of any documentation for what is output in the VPhy log using the XVphy_LogDisplay(&Vphy) command in SDK?   I am working on a Kintex 7 HDMI TX project in Vivado/SDK 2017.4 which I cannot seem to get to work compared to a working project on the same hardware and there are differences in the VPhy log, but I don't know how to decipher the differences.

For instance, I have copied logs below for the working and the non-working project and the non-working project does not hav "TX MMCM lock" in the log.   What does that mean?   I did not think there was an MMCM in the GTX blocks, whereas the CPLL does lock.

Log for non-working project:

VPHY log
------
GT init start
GT init done
TX frequency event
TX frequency event
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX frequency event
CPLL lost lock
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock

Log for working project:

VPHY log
------
GT init start
GT init done
TX frequency event
TX timer event
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX frequency event
CPLL lost lock
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX MMCM lock
TX reset done
TX alignment watchdog timed out.
TX reset done
TX alignment done
TX frequency event
CPLL lost lock
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX MMCM lock
TX reset done
TX alignment done
TX frequency event
CPLL lost lock
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX MMCM lock
TX reset done
TX alignment done
TX frequency event
CPLL lost lock
TX frequency event
TX timer event
TX MMCM reconfig done
CPLL reconfig done
GT TX reconfig start
GT TX reconfig done
CPLL lock
TX MMCM lock
TX reset done
TX alignment done

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VPhy Log

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk,

I found the issue finally today.

My design that was not working with HDMI sourcing also contains circuitry in the block design for DisplayPort Rx and it turns out that the MMCM (TXPLL) setup code in bsp/proc_mblz/libsrc/vphy_v1_6/src/vphy.c (void XVphy_MmcmStart function) has an #ifdef checking for "#if defined (XPAR_XDP_0_DEVICE_ID)".   Once I forced this ifdef to assume there was no DpRx in the design then HDMI started working.

My next step is to find a way to get the MMCM setup to work for both the HDMI TX and DpRx together.

Thanks.

Tim

4 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

In the Video Phy Controller guide, there's all kinds of documentation about the MMCM and how it's used for the TX GTX user data interface.    If you aren't seeing the MMCM lock signal, that's a pretty big clue that something is wrong with your clocking.  Check your clock connections carefully.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk, Understood.   My confusion comes from the fact that the same HDMI design and same hardware works when the design is without non-hdmi blocks, but when I add other blocks to the block-design (i.e. DisplayPort RX) the same design stops working on HDMI.

Image below shows my setup from external ref-clk to GTx GTREFCLK and TXUSRCLK inputs.   This is the same in the working and non-working designs (the non-working design simply has more elements in addition to the HDMI).   In the non-working design the TXPLL does not lock, but the clock_detector block reads the correct frequency.   Is there code in the HDMI TX example design that is specifically used to setup the TXPLL?

hdmi_block.png

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk,

I found the issue finally today.

My design that was not working with HDMI sourcing also contains circuitry in the block design for DisplayPort Rx and it turns out that the MMCM (TXPLL) setup code in bsp/proc_mblz/libsrc/vphy_v1_6/src/vphy.c (void XVphy_MmcmStart function) has an #ifdef checking for "#if defined (XPAR_XDP_0_DEVICE_ID)".   Once I forced this ifdef to assume there was no DpRx in the design then HDMI started working.

My next step is to find a way to get the MMCM setup to work for both the HDMI TX and DpRx together.

Thanks.

Tim

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk,

FYI, I just upgraded my project to using 2018.1 and I noticed in the vphy.c file the updated version fixes the issue I was having.

vphy_1p7_fix.png

Tim