UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Video Beginner Series 4] Updated TPG to use 4PPC getting 'Z' in pixels 1,2,3

Jump to solution

@florentw Thanks so much for your video beginner series, these are extremely useful!

I have ran your simulation successfully and it passed.   In order to use your setup to debug a block I will be developing I need to use 4 pixels per clock in the design since that is what my final design will use, so I updated the block design to have the TPG use 4PPC (see image 1 below).   I also updated the BD connection to have a [95:0] connection and updated the tpg_tdata in the testbench to be [95:0] and this all synthesized and the simulation runs.   But I notice pixel 0 in TDATA is there and changing as expected, but pixels 1,2,3 are all 'Z' (see image 2 below).   Do you know if the TPG supports simulating 4PPC, or is this not an option?

Oh, one other change I made is I changed the lines below to match the resolution I am using in my actual hardware design:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// VIP Configuration
integer height=2160, width=3840;
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Image 1:

tpg_4ppc_setup.png

Image 2:

tdata_pixels_123_z.png

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: [Video Beginner Series 4] Updated TPG to use 4PPC getting 'Z' in pixels 1,2,3

Jump to solution

Never mind, resetting output products in the 2018.1 design was needed.   Once I did that and regenerated output products (having to also disable cache and clear the cache), then the design is now outputting 4PPC.

Tim

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: [Video Beginner Series 4] Updated TPG to use 4PPC getting 'Z' in pixels 1,2,3

Jump to solution

As an experiment I replicated the design in 2017.4 and it seems to work there (see image below).   I notice that the TPG is Version 7.0 (Rev. 10) in 2018.1 and 7.0 (Rev. 9) in 2017.4.   Maybe TPG 7.0 (Rev 10) will not simulate 4PPC?

sim_works_2017p4.png

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Never mind, resetting output products in the 2018.1 design was needed.   Once I did that and regenerated output products (having to also disable cache and clear the cache), then the design is now outputting 4PPC.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

Good to know that you are successfully using my Video Series and good to know that you solved your issue.

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@florentw, question.   In the simulation the axi-stream video tdata bus is changing value on the rising edge of t_clk.   Is this how it works in actual implementation as well?   If so I will need to setup my RTL which looks at this data to capture the data on the negedge of the clock.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

Yes you usually change the value on the rising edge of the clock. And the clock should propagate with the data so you should need to capture it on the rising edge.

You can run post-implementation timing simulation if you want to take propagation in account

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos