UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Video DMA using OV7670 VGA Camera

Hi,

I am trying to execute university project where I want to take a video input from OV7670 VGA Camera , process the input a bit using OpenCV and then using DMA send the output directly to the HDMI output interface.  I am using ZedBoard.

I am very very new to FPGAs( just a month ). I have found some good guides for ov7670 passthroughs from VGA input to Output and I have implemented them. But, to pass that image data to memory and making the HDMI access it is what my team is working on currently and it seems very complex.

Any Help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Keyshav

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Video DMA using OV7670 VGA Camera

Hi Keyshav,

For your application, Xilinx provides a IP called VDMA, you can check its Product guide "PG020" for details.

In the typical application, you can use the s2mm channel of vdma to store the input data from camera into memory, and use the mm2s channel to send the data in the memory to AXI4-Stream to Video Out , then connect to the hdmi or vga .

The related IPs include: vdma , AXI4-Stream to Video Out and Video Timing controller. You can try to understand these IPs. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Thanks for your reply!

Just a silly question, but what would be the difference between using a normal DMA against VDMA for video processing applications? Can you please tell ?

Regards,

Keyshav

0 Kudos

HI @keyshavmor2611,

The VDMA is based on the normal DMA but is optimized for video. For example, it will generate the Tuser at the beginning of a frame

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Hello @keyshavmor2611,

Do you have any updates on this?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos