UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tmiller
Observer

Video PHY reference clock

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am currently trying to add two DisplayPort transmitters to an existing FPGA design (xcku040-ffva1156). The transmitters will each use the DP TX subsystem (v2.0) and the Video PHY controller (v2.0). Both transmitters will sit in the same bank, with a line rate of 2.7 Gbps and identical video timings. The bank is currently provided with a single 156.25MHz external reference clock. I have two questions:

1) Is 156.25 MHz an acceptable frequency? I have used the DisplayPort IP v7.0 before, and the documentation specifies that a 270 MHz reference clock is required for all line rates. I'm not so familiar with the Video PHY, but I suspect the same applies. I can't see any information in the documentation. 

2) Can two Video PHYs within the same bank share the same reference clock?

https://japan.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/displayport/v7_0/pg064-displayport.pdf 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/vid_phy_controller/v2_0/pg230-vid-phy-controller.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/dp_tx_subsystem/v2_0/pg199-displayport-tx-subsystem.pdf

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Video PHY reference clock

Jump to solution

HI @tmiller,

1) Is 156.25 MHz an acceptable frequency? I have used the DisplayPort IP v7.0 before, and the documentation specifies that a 270 MHz reference clock is required for all line rates. I'm not so familiar with the Video PHY, but I suspect the same applies. I can't see any information in the documentation. 

-> I am quite sure the same rules apply (the DP subsystem includes the DP IP), so I think you need to use 270. I will ask for more clarification in the new documentation

-> I would say yes if they in adjacent QUADs and if they don't to support different resolutions

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Video PHY reference clock

Jump to solution

HI @tmiller,

-> I am quite sure the same rules apply (the DP subsystem includes the DP IP), so I think you need to use 270. I will ask for more clarification in the new documentation

-> I would say yes if they in adjacent QUADs and if they don't to support different resolutions

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos