UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer karvonz
Observer

Video Processing Subsystem 2.1 - Scaler only - 8K issue

Hello,

I am trying to implement the video processing subsystem in the Scaler Only mode for a video project.

I am working on a ZCU102 with two FMC. The goal of the project is to be able to acquire 1 DP RX 8K30Hz video and 1 DP RX 4K60Hz video, resynchronize them on memory and then read back from memory the two streams, upscale the 4K stream to 8K and do chromakey fusion of the two streams and finally send the 8K30Hz mixed stream to DP TX.

I have been able to run succesfully this with two 4K 60Hz video streams on RX and send the mixed video in 4K only. I am now trying to run it in 8K. I need to do un upscaling of one 4K to 8K. So i am trying to use the Video processing subsytem in 2.1 version which support the 8K stream. I am facing weird issue with the IP when it is configured for a max frame of 8K. The IP receives input video but never outputs video and seems to freeze (tready goes down from the inuput of the IP and never goes high after some lines have been sent to the Scaler). What I did :

1- On my 4K only system, I tried to insert the VPSS in scaler only mode configured in the block design with max frame to 4K. I have use the VPSS example design to initialize it correctely. I am not scaling the stream as I have 4K on input and want 4K on output. This run perfectly :

VISIO_2019-11-07_09-37-53.png

2- On the same design I just change the max number of Pixels and number of line to 8K. I am still doing passthrought with the VPSS (4K to 4K) and here the IP is starting to behave strangely and to freeze the stream. The only difference is the max frame configured in the block design.

VISIO_2019-11-07_09-39-27.png

3- I have tried to use the IP to scale the stream from 4K to 8k but I am having same issue than point 2- :

VISIO_2019-11-07_09-40-06.png

I am using the VPSS in 4 samples Per clock, 8 bits per color, Scaler only, no color space conversion

My issue seems very similar to this post on the forum : https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Debugging-Scaler-Only-Video-Processing-Subsystem/m-p/804460

Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong ? I know 8K resolution support has been aded to Vivado 2019.1, maybe I am facing some hidden bug with the IP ?

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Best regards,

Karvonz

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Video Processing Subsystem 2.1 - Scaler only - 8K issue

HI @karvonz 

My issue seems very similar to this post on the forum : https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Debugging-Scaler-Only-Video-Processing-Subsystem/m-p/804460

[Florent] - I do not believe it is the same as it also not working if you configure for 8K but run with 4K. While the issue mentioned is when running at the max configuration

Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong ? I know 8K resolution support has been aded to Vivado 2019.1, maybe I am facing some hidden bug with the IP ?

[Florent] - I am surprized about this issue. I would recommend you try to generate the example design and test with the same configuration

Also, you might want to enable to journal output in the UART and see if the VPSS is reporting any error

Finally, make sure you are resetting the VPSS each time you are changing its configuration

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @karvonz 

I can't beleave this behaviour. But I suggest you to make sure the followings.

- Make sure bandwidth on DDR.

- Make sure timing report. Are there any timing violations ?

- Are video timing and color format of 8K30Hz and 4K60Hz suitable for this design ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer karvonz
Observer

Hi thank you for your reply @florentw and @watari 

[Florent] - I do not believe it is the same as it also not working if you configure for 8K but run with 4K. While the issue mentioned is when running at the max configuration

=> Yes I know the issue is not exactly the same but I have the same a tready waveform that looks like him. He solved his behavior by increasing the max conf but I am already at max.

[Florent] - I am surprized about this issue. I would recommend you try to generate the example design and test with the same configuration

=> I might do that, I have developed my own simple upsacler (x2) and trying to debug my own system before puting back the VPSS.

Also, you might want to enable to journal output in the UART and see if the VPSS is reporting any error

=> I am already doing that and have no error on the debug journal

Here is the log :

------ SUBSYSTEM INPUT/OUTPUT CONFIG ------
->INPUT
Color Format: RGB
Color Depth: 8
Pixels Per Clock: 4
Mode: Progressive
Frame Rate: 60Hz
Resolution: 3840x2160@60Hz
Pixel Clock: 594000000

->OUTPUT
Frame Rate: 60Hz
Resolution: 7680x4320@60Hz
Pixel Clock: -1918967296

----->V SCALER IP STATUS<----
IsDone: 0
IsIdle: 0
IsReady: 0
Ctrl: 0x81

Scaler Type: Bilinear
Input Width: 3840
Input Height: 2160
Output Height: 4320
4:2:0 processing: Enabled
Line Rate: 32768
Num Phases: 64

----->H SCALER IP STATUS<----

Input&Output Height: 4320
Output Width: 7680

4:2:2 processing: Enabled
Color space conversion: Disabled
Input Color Format: RGB
Output Color Format: RGB
Pixel Rate: 32768

VPSS log
-----------
Info: Subsystem configuration is valid
Info: Scaler-only configuration is valid
Info: Subsystem reset
Info: Scalers start
log end
-----------

Finally, make sure you are resetting the VPSS each time you are changing its configuration

=> Yes I am doing that.

What I don't understand is why situation 1 on my previous post work and not situation 2. The only difference between the two design is the max frame size that I configure during IP configuration in the block design. I have the exact same code running on the processor and I am using the VPSS in the same way : a passthrought 4K to 4K

@watari 

- Make sure bandwidth on DDR.

I am on the ZCU102 with 64bit DDR running at 2133MHz. I should have 136 Gbps max bandwith. I am buffering :

- writing/reading 1 8K 30Hz 8bpc in RGB => 2*28.42Gbps max peak bandwith

- writing 1 4K 60Hz 8bpc in RGB => 14.24Gbps max peak bandwith

- reaing 1 4K 30Hz 8bpc in RGB => 7.12Gbps max peak bandwith

So I am pretty far from the max bandwith of the DDR.

- Make sure timing report. Are there any timing violations ?

=> I have no timing violation on the timing report

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Best regards,

Karvonz

Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @karvonz 

>- Make sure timing report. Are there any timing violations ?

>=> I have no timing violation on the timing report

Is it true ? I'm amazing.

According your UART log, it said "OUTPUT : pixel clock 1918967296".

It means that pixel clock (4 pixel per clock) is 479.741824[MHz].

It seems a little hard to achive timing criteria.

Also, it seems that video timing is for 8K@60Hz and it's not suitable. Is it true ?

So, I suggest you to consider them, again.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer karvonz
Observer

Hello@watari,

thanks for pointing that out. I had a small mistake with the stream rate set to 60Hz during VPSS initialization (only valid for my configuration 3 : 4K to 8K)

Here is the log with the correct framerate :

------ SUBSYSTEM INPUT/OUTPUT CONFIG ------
->INPUT
Frame Rate: 30Hz
Resolution: 3840x2160@30Hz
Pixel Clock: 297000000

->OUTPUT
Frame Rate: 30Hz
Resolution: 7680x4320@30Hz
Pixel Clock: 1019896800

----->V SCALER IP STATUS<----

Input Height: 2160
Output Height: 4320
Line Rate: 32768

----->H SCALER IP STATUS<----

Input&Output Height: 4320
Output Width: 7680

4:2:2 processing: Enabled
Color space conversion: Disabled
Input Color Format: RGB
Output Color Format: RGB
Pixel Rate: 32768

VPSS log
-----------
Info: Subsystem configuration is valid
Info: Scaler-only configuration is valid
Info: Subsystem reset
Info: Scalers start
log end
-----------

So I have a clock at around 250Mhz for the 8K which sound more realistic and the VPSS is still hangling/freezing

Anyway, I would not focus the investigation on my configuration number 3 (4K to 8K) but more on why case 2 doesn't work (4K to 4K with a max frame of 8K) whereas case 1 works. Why that ? because I am not totally sure yet of my software for my 8K design (case 3 of my first post) and I will need for the final design to be able to dynamically reconfigure the pipe to do either case 2 or case 3 (4K mixing or 8k mixing). So I need to be able to do a 4K passthrought with the VPSS configured with a 8K max frame size. If it is not possible, I won't be able to use the VPSS and I will need to do my own upscaler

Thank you in advance for your answer

Karvonz

0 Kudos