cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Video Scaler causing Vivado 2016.2 to crash

Jump to solution

I am using the Video Scaler IP core in Vivado 2016.2 (yes I know it is going to be discontinued, but we have the license for the Scaler, not the Video Processing Subsystem).  I have been having some issues since I put the Scaler in the design.  Specifically, it looks like since I added it to the design I see the last three pixels of each line wrapped to the first three pixels of the next line, on every line.  All the way to the point of the last three pixels of a frame being wrapped to the first three pixel of the next frame.

But that is not really what I want help with.  In the GUI for the scaler, whether in IPI or not, when I try to select Lanczos coefficients for my initial coefficient set, Vivado promptly crashes.  I have even tried changing it to Lanczos coefficients in the property window, not the GUI, and the same thing happens.  Finally I modified the xci and xml, and it looks like in the property window the change has carried through.  And I can open the GUI for the core and the change has taken effect.  But the core will not synthesize now.

xml changes bold and underlined:

<spirit:parameter>
      <spirit:name>Init_Coef_Source</spirit:name>
      <spirit:displayName>Init Coef Source</spirit:displayName>
      <spirit:value spirit:resolve="user" spirit:id="PARAM_VALUE.Init_Coef_Source" spirit:choiceRef="choice_list_2d3811fe" spirit:order="11600" spirit:configGroups="1 UnGrouped">Lanczos_Coefficients</spirit:value>
      <spirit:vendorExtensions>
        <xilinx:parameterInfo>
          <xilinx:enablement>
            <xilinx:isEnabled xilinx:resolve="dependent" xilinx:id="PARAM_ENABLEMENT.Init_Coef_Source">true</xilinx:isEnabled>
          </xilinx:enablement>
        </xilinx:parameterInfo>
      </spirit:vendorExtensions>
    </spirit:parameter>

xci changes bold and underlined:

<spirit:configurableElementValue spirit:referenceId="PARAM_VALUE.Init_Coef_Source">Lanczos_Coefficients</spirit:configurableElementValue>

Error when trying to synthesize with the changes above

[Ipptcl 7-519] NULL COE Data pointer: Unable to open the file no_coe_file_loaded
 [IP_Flow 19-167] Failed to deliver one or more file(s).
 [IP_Flow 19-3505] IP Generation error: Failed to generate IP 'embd_sys_v_scaler_0_1'. Failed to generate 'VHDL Synthesis' outputs:
 [IP_Flow 19-98] Generation of the IP CORE failed.
Failed to generate IP 'embd_sys_v_scaler_0_1'. Failed to generate 'VHDL Synthesis' outputs:
 [BD 41-1030] Generation failed for the IP Integrator block v_scaler_0

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Video Scaler causing Vivado 2016.2 to crash

Jump to solution

I ended up solving the crashing issue by deleting all files/folders in the project directory except the .xpr and the srcs folder.  I am still having other issues with the scaler, but I will open another post for those issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

This problem occurs if the coefficient (.coe) file for a core cannot be found.

The customization GUI should open and allowyou to select a new COE file or browse to a new location.

To work around this problem, copy the indicated ".coe" file to the location being searched.

To verify the ".coe" file name and location, open the IP core ".xco" file in a text editor.

If the original ".coe" file does not exist, a new coefficient file with the same name can be substituted to open the customization GUI.

You may open XCI file in editor and check coe file location . COE file should be located at right place

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I understand that would be the cause of the error if I had COE as the selected source for coefficients.  But I selected (through massaging the xci/xml, not the GUI) Lanczos coefficients, in which case the core is supposed to generate its own coefficients, no rely on a coe file for coefficients. 

But once again, when selecting the option for Lanczos coefficients, Vivado crashes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
try this XAPP
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp596-4k2k-up-converter-ref-design.pdf
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
check this ARs
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60856.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

FYI, I tried to use the Lanczos coefficients option in Vivado 2015.1 and had no issues, but every time I try to select it in 2016.2, Vivado crashes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I ended up solving the crashing issue by deleting all files/folders in the project directory except the .xpr and the srcs folder.  I am still having other issues with the scaler, but I will open another post for those issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos