UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Video Timing Controller v6.1 detection problem

Hi,

I am having problem getting vtc to detect video timing from Video to AXIS IP.  My timing controller "my_tc" is unable to lock even though Active video, HBLANK and VBLANK are present.  Its intc_if port reads 0x00002a7e.  Decoding this bit pattern suggest that is not LOCKED and VBLANK is not detected.

So I created a reference vtc called "working_tc", set to 1080P mode, to generate known good video timing signals and check its output with "working_tc_checker".  "working_tc_checker" is able to lock, ie intc_if[8] output is '1'.  intc_if[31:0] port reads 0x0000097F. 

block diagram.PNG

Then I compare my Video in to AXI4-Stream output against "working_tc" output.  They are exactly the same, but shifted in phase.  Both HBLANK is 280 clk long. Both horizontal are 2200 clocks.  Active Video is exact inversion of HBLANK.  Both VBLANK is 45 HBLANK periods.  Both Vertical are 1125 HBLANK periods.

Also,  rising edge of HBLANK coincides with rising edge of VBLANK on my tc, same as "working_tc".

ila capture.PNG

Above ILA capture, "working" signals are produced by reference tc and is able to be locked by "working_tc_checker".   "AXIS" signals are output from Video In to AXI4-Stream IP, are not lockable.

Pls advice.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Video Timing Controller v6.1 detection problem

Hi wtneo@leica

It seems VBLANK issue.

If you already prepared VSYNC and HSYNC, I suggest using VSYNC, HSYNC and ACTIVE_VIDEO to resolve this issue.

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

I was using BLANKs instead of SYNCs because the output from Unsupported SDI to Video bridge has only BLANKs.  Also, SDI transmission natively uses BLANKs so it straight forward to translate SDI control signals to BLANKs.  And I don't have to worry about front and back porches.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

Is there HBLANK signal as active during VBLANK is active ?

Would you make sure ?

BTW, can you implement firmware in your design ?

If yes, I suggest using "Video Timing Controller" IP to detect video timing and to generate video timing.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

Yes HBLANK is active during VBLANK.

hblank during vblank.PNG

What do you mean by implementing firmware?  Do you mean connecting VTC checker to Microblaze via AXI, then read the registers to understand for errors?

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

Yes. You connect VTC and implement control software with bare metal  driver at Microblaze.

Would you refer the following URL at page 22 ?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_axi4s_vid_out/v4_0/pg044_v_axis_vid_out.pdf

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

But that document does not directly address detection problem.  Does the software API has function call to help debug detect error?

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos

Hi Neo,

Could you provide the exact video timing for the non-working case? It would be interesting to feed the exact same with the VTC as generator.

You are mentioning that you do not care about front and back porch. Could you still try to add one clock for each? I am not sure if any standard timing as a fp or bp of 0.

Best Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Florentw,

I am unable to capture the entire video frame timing for the non-working case in one single capture because there is insufficient memory in ILA.  Do you have any suggestions how I can present video timings here?

If I enable AXI interface on Video Timing detector, will I be able to read the detector registers and use it to debug why it cannot lock?  Will the detector registers contain any useful info when it is not locked in the 1st place?

I do not understand your suggestion on fp and bp.  Output from Video in to AXI-Stream has only VBLANK and HBLANK,  how do I add 1 clk for fp and bp?

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

Can you try them ?

1) Implement vertical counter whose trigger is the rising edge of horizontal blanking for debugging.

2) Use oscilloscope to measure signals of horizontal blanking and vertical blanking on FPGA port.

3) Capture waveform by the following triggers for insufficient memory

- Rising edge of horizontal blank and vertical blank.

Would you try them, if possible ?

Best regards,

Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I implemented the counters, sample below

always @ (posedge rx0_usrclk) begin
		axis_hblank_q			<=	axis_hblank_i;
end

always @ (posedge rx0_usrclk)
	if (axis_vblank_q == 1'b0 && axis_vblank_i == 1'b1)
		cnt_axis_vblank_h <= 1;
	else if (axis_vblank_i == 1)
		cnt_axis_vblank_h <= cnt_axis_vblank_h + 1;

Below is the counter values for input to my VTC.ila_my_vtc_out.PNGThe stable value are the length of respective BLANK signals, eg VBLANK high = 99000 pclkila_my_vtc_out_zoom_vblank_start.PNGHere is same capture zoomed into VBLANK startingila_my_vtc_out_zoom_hblank_end.PNGHere is same capture with HBLANK endingvsync but hsync too dense.pngVBLANK with HBLANK (HBLANK too dense, blur). VBLANK period 33.33msvsync high.pngZoom into VBLANK high, contains 45 HBLANK periodsone hsync period.pngZoom into VBLANK and HBLANK rising. HBLANK period 29.6ushsync high.pngZoom into HBLANK rising. Synchronous with VBLANK rising. HBLANK high for 3.79ushsync rising and pclk.pngHBLANK rising with PCLK = 72.6MHz

Thanks for the attention.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

I would also like to show you the ILA capture of a working VTC timing output.

ila_working_vtc_out.PNGCounter values are the same. The working VTC port intc_if outputs 0x0000097f whereas my non-working VTC port intc_if outputs 0x00002a7e. My bit[8] =0 meaning not locked.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

It seems wrong vertical setting or signal.

Is the video timing "1920 (Horizontal) x 280 (Vertical)" ?

If no, I suggest checking video timing on IO port via VIO and sharing it.

Also, could you explain the meaning of yellow and green on the waveform of osciloscope.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

280 is the length of HBLANK pulse in number of pclk.  VBLANK, HBLANK and Active_video are measured in number of pclk.

So the waveform reads:

HBLANK pulse length = 280 pclks

HBLANK period           = 280 + 1920                     =  2200 pclks

VBLANK pulse length = 99000  pclks                    = 99000 / 2200 = 45 line periods

VBLANK period           = 99000 + 2376000 pclks  = 2475000 / 2200 = 1125 line periods

The numbers matched a video timing generator I created to compare.  But mine timing detector failed to lock whereas another detector connected to the timing generator can lock.

Regards.

Neo

0 Kudos

Hi wtneo@leica,

Can you check if you have front porch and back porch in your failing case (time between the end/beginning of active video and the beginning/end of the blanking pulse). In most video standards you are expected to have at least 1 pclk

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Florentw,

I am not aware of that.

My video timing does not has any front porch and back porch.  ACTIVE_VIDEO goes high exactly when HBLANK goes low, and vice versa. 

I modded the HBLANK signal to try your idea.

hblank shortened.PNG

HBLANK rising is delayed by 1 clock after ACTIVE_VIDEO falling.

HBLANK falling is brought forward by 1 clock before ACTIVE_VIDEO rising (not shown).

VBLANK rising and falling follows previous timing, ie. un-modded HBANK timing .

The changes did not work, timing detector intc_if output reads 0x00002a7c.

Anyway, the working VTC generator uses the same HBLANK and ACTIVE_VIDEO before my changes and it works.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos

Hi wtneo@leica,

I think we should take one step back and look at a standard (CVT, VESA...) timing and see where your number differs.

Could you give:

* active HSIZE

* active VSIZE

* pixel clock

* VBLANK

* HBLANK

*Front porch

* Back porch

From my understanding, you are not sending the HSYNC and VSYNC to the VTC. Correct?

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Florentw

Yes I am not sending HSYNC and VSYNC to VTC.

* active HSIZE = 1920

* active VSIZE = 1080

* pixel clock = 148.5MHz

* VBLANK = 45 lines

* HBLANK = 280 pclk

*Front porch ? how to measure front porch when not using HSYNC?

* Back porch ? how to measure back porch when not using HSYNC?

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

As you mentioned previous post (this reply), you set fv as 60Hz.

However as you uploaded the following picture, it shows as fv as 30Hz.

It's an inconsistency.

Would you make sure it ?

I'm sure that, at least it is a part of route cause.

Best regards,

vsync but hsync too dense.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Watari,

Thanks for tip.

The clock source is from SDI IP core, seems like the IP is sending out 1080p30 and  74MHz clock.  

I thought that Video Timing detection algorithm is not sensitive to pixel clock frequency.  I thought it merely measures the video timing signals input to it according to the clock provided to it.  In the GUI to configure IP core, I did not have to specify pixel clock frequency.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi wtneo@leica

Does your design have a frame buffer ?

If no, it's the route cause.

Because of you want to change vertical frequency from 30Hz to 60Hz.

If you don't want to change vertical frequency, I suggest using 72.25[MHz] as pixel clock.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Hi wtneo@leica,

Do you have any updates on this?

I do not think the VTC is sensible to the frame rate. So the issue might be in some number for the timing

Florent
0 Kudos