UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which FPGA to use for real time (high resolution) image processing within UAV ?

Hello,

I am a PhD candidate in the department of computer science at TU Chemnitz with the topic "Vision-based real time power transmission line insulator inspection". During my research I found FPGA is the best solution for my task. Xilinx is the leader in FPGAs for many years and has a good range of FPGAs in terms of cost and performance. I will be very thankful to have your suggestion about which FPGA is most suitable for the task.

I should inoform you that the size of the image frame is 3840 x 2160 (width x height) and the frame rate is 29 fps. Insulator detection, localization, tracking and inspection algorithms are used for the task. Please note that the FPGA will be carried by an UAV.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for your suggestions and best regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Which FPGA to use for real time (high resolution) image processing within UAV ?

Hi 

You can consult the Xilinx portfolio of FPGA. The Xilinx ZYNQ UltraScale EV series have internal blocks dedicated to process video. Another thing that you can do is find a FPGA board that best adjust to you necessity, this will help you at the moment of implement your design as part of a prototype, involve a lot of external components beside the FPGA present in the board. You will find  boards in the products part of the Xilinx website. A couple of boards to start testing some video applications cold be the PYNQ board or the Ultra 96 board. I hope that this information was useful to you.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Which FPGA to use for real time (high resolution) image processing within UAV ?

Hi @abulhasnat1981

I suggest the following evaluation boards for you.

Would you refer them ?

- ZCU106 (MPSoC / EV series )

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/zcu106.html

- ZCU104 (MPSoC / EG series)

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/zcu104.html

- VCU118 (Virtex Ultrascale+)

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/vcu118.html

- KCU116 (Kintex Ultrascale+)

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-u1-kcu116-g.html

0 Kudos

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi

I check the boards that you show. The ZCU106 and ZCU104 are prepared for video applications. This boards share the same FPGA, the difference is the external components of each board. This components address a range of specifics application and are useful in some projects. The remaining boards are very expensive boards that address another part of the FPGA applications, and maybe can add a extremely cost of your prototype. The election of a FPGA kit depends on the necessity of the design, I recommend that check your necessities and then select the board that is best to you. Also I recommend that you check the Ultra 96 board. If you are interested in mount a FPGA in a drone the power consumption and the weight could be critical constraints to you. The Ultra 96 have been applied in images recognition task and video processing task. You can get more information on the Xilinx website or check some videos about Xilinx kits I'm YouTube. I hope that this text can help you

0 Kudos
Newbie tvtde

hi,abulhasnat1981

I am a graduate student in China.
I want to know which type of FPGA you chose at last.
I hope you can tell me,because we're making UAV's FPGA smart box.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi

The Xilinx ZYNQ UltraScale EV series have a internal peripheral to process video. You can choose between the members of this family depending on how big is your design inside of the FPGA. 

0 Kudos