UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie borinsky

XAPP1097 SDI interface - where are the VHDL wrappers?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to implement an SDI interface on Artix 7. I've downlaoded XAPP1097 and the associated ZIP containing the wrappers etc. It's got a set of Verilog files but where are the VHDL files? The app note ssays there are both VHDL and Verilog versions. I work in VHDL and my knowledge of Verilog is extremely limited so I'd rather not get involved with mixed languages.

This thread covers similar ground but doesn't answer my question:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-and-Video/SMPTE-SD-HD-3G-SDI-instance-missing-h-vhd-files-for-XAPP1097-GTP/m-p/787078/highlight/true#M17579

I'd appreciate your help and advice.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: XAPP1097 SDI interface - where are the VHDL wrappers?

Jump to solution

I have no probelm with the core being what ever language Xilxin want.

But till recently, Xilinx supported both verilog and VHDL , and provided verilog wrappers for vhdl and verilog wrappers for vhdl.

Now if its a verilog core, no more a vhdl wrapper, 

Come on now.

If a wrapper is easy, then you can knock it out quickly and support it,

If a wrapper is hard, then not providing one , puts the none supported language at a significant disadvantage.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @borinsky,

From the xapp1097:

xapp.PNG

I don't know where you found that there was VHDL wrappers but this is not the case

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Newbie borinsky

Jump to solution

Florent, on the first page of XAPP1097 v1.0.1 November 10, 2015, in the introduction:

The Xilinx SMPTE SD/HD/3G-SDI LogiCORE IP (hereinafter called the SDI core) can be
connected to an Artix-7 FPGA GTP transceiver to implement an SDI interface capable of
supporting the SMPTE SD-SDI, HD-SDI, and 3G-SDI standards. The SDI core and GTP
transceiver must be supplemented with some additional logic to connect them together to
implement a fully functional SDI interface. This application note describes this additional control
and interface logic and provides the necessary control and interface modules in both Verilog
and VHDL source code.

My bold.

If VHDL source really isn't available from Xilinx I'll try these translation tools: http://www.syncad.com/syn_v2v_down.htm

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @borinsky,

Ok I see. This is an error in the introduction. It is only available in verilog

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Pity Xilinx are dropping support for VHDL,

Europe will miss you guys,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @drjohnsmith,

In this case it is not that Xilinx is dropping support for VHDL.

An xapp as mainly one author and he will have on favorite langage. So he will do it in the language he knows. It could have been VHDL only with another author

Florent
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@borinsky In the very first version xapp1097 1.0 (Oct 2013), it used to have both code files : VHDL and Verilog. It was for ISE based design at that time.

There were some issues using VHDL files so it was dropped, but I couldn't remember the exact issue. Anyway, VHDL shouldn't be mentioned in the current xapp1097.

I don't think there is a plan to supply VHDL for xapp1097

0 Kudos
Newbie borinsky

Jump to solution

Since my project is in VHDL that means the SDI and GTP cores are generated in VHDL. So I will end up with Verilog wrappers round VHDL cores. Plus a VHDL project that includes a large lump of Verilog. Is this VHDL within Verilog within VHDL structure likely to cause any problems?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @borinsky,

No you can have a mixed of verilog and VHDL

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

I have no probelm with the core being what ever language Xilxin want.

But till recently, Xilinx supported both verilog and VHDL , and provided verilog wrappers for vhdl and verilog wrappers for vhdl.

Now if its a verilog core, no more a vhdl wrapper, 

Come on now.

If a wrapper is easy, then you can knock it out quickly and support it,

If a wrapper is hard, then not providing one , puts the none supported language at a significant disadvantage.

0 Kudos
Newbie borinsky

Jump to solution

So if I want to instantiate a Verilog module in a VHDL design I think I need to wrap it in a VHDL entity/architecture structure.

Like shown here and quoted below: http://vhdlguru.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-mix-vhdl-and-verilog-files-in.html This seems to show the Verilog module instantiated twice. To keep things clean I think I would simply wrap VHDL round each Verilog module so I can use it just as if it was VHDL.

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; entity test is port( Q : out std_logic_vector(1 downto 0); D :in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ); end test; architecture Behavioral of test is component a1 is port( Q : out std_logic; D :in std_logic_vector(1 downto 0) ); end component; begin a11 : a1 port map(Q(0),D(1 downto 0)); a22 : a1 port map(Q(1),D(3 downto 2)); end Behavioral;
0 Kudos