UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor teampro1
Visitor

ZCU104 VCU examples error: failed to configure video mode

Jump to solution

Hello,

Currently I'm trying to start the VCU examples on the ZCU104. I use the prebuild peta-linux image (2018.2, also tried the 2018.1 version) and use this document https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/vcu/v1_1/pg252-vcu.pdf (chapter 11) to  set everything in place. The vcu-demo-camera-encode-decode-display.sh -s 640x480 works, as well as vcu-demo-transcode-to-file.sh but unfortunately all the other examples won't work.

I also used several gst-launch commands, that didn't work as well. Everything seems to be pointing at the kmssink not being able to configure the video mode (picture 1). But when I use the kmssink force-modesetting=1 it displays different errors (picture 2). 

Hardware setup:
zcu104 dp to dp monitor

usb econ see3cam

ethernet cable to the router

I hope this question wasn't already asked (I looked around for a bit but couldn't find anything) and I hope someone can help me. 

Greetings!

vcu-demo-decode-terminal-errors.PNG

vcu-error-force-mode.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZCU104 VCU examples error: failed to configure video mode

Jump to solution

Hi @teampro1,

I am getting the same error as you do if there is no monitor detected.

What is the maximum supported resolution of your DP monitor? Do it support 2160p?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @teampro1,

The vcu-demo-camera-encode-decode-display.sh -s 640x480 works, as well as vcu-demo-transcode-to-file.sh but unfortunately all the other examples won't work.

> So you mean that for example vcu-demo-decode-display.sh is not working? What file did you try? Could you please share the log for this one?

I will try on my board tomorrow and we can then compare.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Visitor teampro1
Visitor

Jump to solution

@florentw indeed the other examples don't work, for example when I try the vcu-demo-decode-display.sh -i /home/root/bbb_sunflower_2160p_30fps_normal_avc.mp4 -c avc -a aac it displays the "kmssink: failed to configure video mode".  This error I get for all the other examples as well (just not for the transcode file and camara encode-decode example). The video is the bbb_sunflower_2160p_30fps_normal_avc.mp4 which is transmitted fine to the board (after using the vcu-demo-decode-display.sh script the video is present in the /home/root/ folder). 

I attached the debug info of the error I get when trying the example. I don't know if you meant that by sharing the log, if not could you provide information on how to get the log? 

Thank you for replying! 

root@xilinx-zcu104-2018_2:/# gst-launch-1.0 --gst-debug=1 filesrc location=/home/root/bbb_sunflower_2160p_30fps_normal_avc.mp4 ! qtdemux name=demux demux.video_0 ! h264parse ! omxh264dec ! queue max-size-bytes=0 ! kmssink bus-id=fd4a0000.zynqmp-display fullscreen-overlay=1
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
Redistribute latency...
0:00:00.531608200  2927     0x2fe02590 ERROR                kmssink gstkmssink.c:559:configure_mode_setting:<kmssink0> cannot find appropriate mode
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstKMSSink:kmssink0: GStreamer error: negotiation problem.
Additional debug info:
../../../git/sys/kms/gstkmssink.c(1218): gst_kms_sink_set_caps (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstKMSSink:kmssink0:
failed to configure video mode
Execution ended after 0:00:00.208137676
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
0:00:00.581835039  2927     0x2fe02590 ERROR                kmssink gstkmssink.c:559:configure_mode_setting:<kmssink0> cannot find appropriate mode
Setting pipeline to READY ...
0:00:00.972876182  2927   0x7f88008d90 ERROR                    omx gstomx.c:2360:gst_omx_port_populate_unlocked:<omxh264dec-omxh264dec0> Populated decoder port 1: Incorrect state operation (0x80001018)
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

p.s I toke the generated gst-launch1.0 command out of the vcu-demo-decode-display.sh example so that I could add the gst-debug for more info.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @teampro1,

I am getting the same error as you do if there is no monitor detected.

What is the maximum supported resolution of your DP monitor? Do it support 2160p?

Florent
Visitor teampro1
Visitor

Jump to solution

My monitor is a Dell U2715H which indeed doesn't support 2160p (it supports a maximum resolution of 2560x1440). I tried the vcu-demo-decode-display.sh with a different file (720p) and everything seems to be working well. Feeling kinda dumb right now but thank you very much for helping me!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @teampro1,

Good to know that it is working now.

No problem, the error from GStreamer are never easy to read ;).

Florent
0 Kudos