UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sigan
Observer

Zynq UltraScale+ | Video PHY Controller | GTH4 Tx Utilization

Jump to solution

Hi,

so I have a couple of questions regarding the GTH transceivers utilization in the Zynq XCZU6 device. Since we are using the FFV900 package of the Zynq XCZU6 there is a total of four GTH4 Quads according to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1075-zynq-ultrascale-pkg-pinout.pdf, page 51. The plan is that the Zynq PL shall instantiate one HDMI 2.1 IP core Rx only (but for the time being it is one HDMI 2.0/1.4, since the HDMI 2.1 core is not available) and DisplayPort 1.4 Rx only. Both of these cores use the Video PHY Controller that internally wrap one GTH4 quad each. On our board we want to make use of all the 16 GTH4 Tx channels towards another board and the eight GTH4 Rx channels that are not used in the HDMI and DisplayPort Video PHY Controllers.

How can we use the GTH4 Tx channels that are internally wrapped in the Video PHY Controllers for HDMI and DisplayPort?
I am guessing we need to modify the Video PHY Controller. And by doing so, do we still get support from Xilinx if things do not work or any other issues?

The tentative plan is as follows:
Use the GTH4 Rx channels in Quad 229 for DisplayPort 1.4. 270 MHz -> MGTREFCLK0 pins.
Use the GTH4 Rx channels in Quad 230 for HDMI 2.0/1.4. HDMI link clk -> MGTREFCLK0 pins and DRU ref clock -> MGTREFCLK1 pins.
Drive 156.25MHz clock on MGTREFCLK0 pins on Quad 228. This clock will then be used by all Tx channels in Quad 228, 229 and 230. And
also the Rx channels in Quad 228.
Since it is not possible (I believe) to drive Quad 128 with the reference clock from Quad 228, since its placement is neither north/south of Quad 228. The Tx and Rx channels in Quad 228 will be driven its own reference clock at 156.25MHz.

Video PHY Controller:
The Video PHY Controller for DisplayPort only needs one reference clock at 270 MHz, correct? Or does it need a separate Link clock dependent on the GT_Datawidth parameter on page 51, https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/vid_phy_controller/v2_2/pg230-vid-phy-controller.pdf.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Zynq UltraScale+ | Video PHY Controller | GTH4 Tx Utilization

Jump to solution

Hi @sigan 

Yes, to be able to use different protocols in a single quad you will need to edit the Video PHY. But, this is physically possible.

In term of support, if you modify the Video Phy, this is not officially supported by Xilinx Technical Support (thus through the Service Portal).

With that said, I talked with your FAE and he should be able to support you in modifying the Video Phy. He should contact you but I encourage you to contact him first (in case he forgets).

About the reference clock for the Displayport 1.4, yes you only need a single 270MHz for the GT. The link clock is derivated from the rxoutclock.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @sigan 

Yes, to be able to use different protocols in a single quad you will need to edit the Video PHY. But, this is physically possible.

In term of support, if you modify the Video Phy, this is not officially supported by Xilinx Technical Support (thus through the Service Portal).

With that said, I talked with your FAE and he should be able to support you in modifying the Video Phy. He should contact you but I encourage you to contact him first (in case he forgets).

About the reference clock for the Displayport 1.4, yes you only need a single 270MHz for the GT. The link clock is derivated from the rxoutclock.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer sigan
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw , thank you a lot for your reply, really appreciate it! I will contact our FAE.

0 Kudos