UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer parithyila
Observer

display port and vedio phy controller

Jump to solution

Hi 

I am working with dispaly port and video phy contrller, i have attached the integrated block diagram pls have a look on it.

when i am reading the PLL Lock Status (PLS) Register (0x0018) of vedio phy controller all the values in the register are 0, from that i understood that my qpll is not locked.

below is the sequence of writing data to vedio phy controller

1.write PLL Reset Register (PR) (0x0014)   seting all the bits 1

2.write Reference Clock Selection (RCS) Register (0x0010)  =C000031  

3. write PLL Reset Register (PR) (0x0014)   seting all the bits 1

4.reading PLL Lock Status (PLS) Register (0x0018)

if i read the PHY Configuration Status from sp 0x280 i am geting the value 6c is this correct.

I am using 135 Mhz clock for all my design, why my qpll status is alway 0 ,

i am using vivado 2016.4

pls verify the below attached block diagrm . let me know  why  qpll status is alway 0

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: display port and vedio phy controller

Jump to solution

As Watari mentioned jitter needs to be considered for this clock as it is a GT clock. I do not suggest using an internal clock.

GT clock requirements are listed in each of the DC and AC Switching Characteristics guides. 

As an example here is the table for the Kintex Ultrascale DS893. Use the Phase Noise Mask to select a clock chip. Vendors usually have phase noise listed in their documentation.

2019-08-30 08_36_53-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2018.3 -  https___www.xilinx.com_support_document.png

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @parithyila,

Directly programming the registers is not supported, please use the drivers as the process to initializing can be complicated and this already written and tested for you by our drivers. Is there a reason that you are using 2016.4? Check the ARs below for all of the improvements and bug fixes since 2016.4. Also there is an example design available starting in 2017.3.

RX:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65447.htm

TX:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59384.htm

PHY:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/57842.htm

My suggestion is to upgrade to Vivado 2017.3 or newer and use the example design as a reference and as a tool to test your hardware (if on custom hardware).

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Observer parithyila
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi samk,

thanks for replying,

I am not clear about driver you have mentioned . are your saying about  microblaze ? 

Right now i am using Axi master as a driver  to drive the register values . Do i need to drive the value through microblaze?

regards

ilam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @parithyila,

Yes, a processor is required for the Video PHY controller. Either an ARM (Zynq) or MicroBlaze.

Take a look at one of the example designs and I believe this will answer your questions.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Observer parithyila
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi samk,

Thanks for your reply i will come back if there is any need

regads

ilam

0 Kudos
Observer parithyila
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi samk,

can we generate 135Mhz internally from FPGA   or we need to use external clock as a reference clock for viedo phy controller,

right now i am generating internally.

regards

ilam

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @parithyila 

You should consider input clock jitter for DP IP.

So, I suggest you to use external clock device which has low clock jitter as reference clock.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

As Watari mentioned jitter needs to be considered for this clock as it is a GT clock. I do not suggest using an internal clock.

GT clock requirements are listed in each of the DC and AC Switching Characteristics guides. 

As an example here is the table for the Kintex Ultrascale DS893. Use the Phase Noise Mask to select a clock chip. Vendors usually have phase noise listed in their documentation.

2019-08-30 08_36_53-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2018.3 -  https___www.xilinx.com_support_document.png

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @parithyila 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos