UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer xinyiz
Observer

mipi csi-2 rx subsystem: only receive frames when fpga is powered and programmed first

Hi,

I have a design reading csi camera input into PS DDR and the frames are displayed using DisplayPort. But the design only works when I power and program the FPGA first and then boot/start the camera. If I reverse the order, the frames seem not synchronized and there is no any interrupts from CSI. I have used an osiloscope to verify there is actually CSI signals going into the FPGA.

Anyone has an idea on this? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: mipi csi-2 rx subsystem: only receive frames when fpga is powered and programmed first

Hello @xinyiz 

This is expected result.

Our MIPI CSI-2 RX Subsystem IP needs LP-11 (stop-state) input for certain period to complete its initialization process. If you run the sensor first, it will start sending video data.

If MIPI CSI-2 RX receives non LP-11 state input (input signal is toggling, Hi-Z etc)during initialization period. Initialization may not succesfuly complete.  

Thanks & regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Observer xinyiz
Observer

Re: mipi csi-2 rx subsystem: only receive frames when fpga is powered and programmed first

Does the initialization process starts after I call XCsiSs_CfgInitialize()?

You say this is expected result, but I also tried the mipi csi-2 rx subsystem example design with the Li Camera. When I program and start the sensor first and sleep for 10 seconds and then call XCsiSs_CfgInitialize() to initialize the csi subsystem, I can still receive frames, why?

Is there any way to allow me to run the sensor first without affecting the behavior of CSI receiver? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @xinyiz 

>Does the initialization process starts after I call XCsiSs_CfgInitialize()?

Yes. Your understanding is correct.
-- a brief explanation is written in here : https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw/blob/master/XilinxProcessorIPLib/drivers/mipicsiss/src/xcsiss.h

>When I program and start the sensor first and sleep for 10 seconds and then call XCsiSs_CfgInitialize() to initialize the csi subsystem, I can still receive frames, why?

Because your sensors outputs LP-11 on sleep mode.
You can double check this using oscilloscope.

>Is there any way to allow me to run the sensor first without affecting the behavior of CSI receiver? 

MIPI CSI-2 RX Subsystem needs LP-11 input during initialization.
(LP-11 needs to be hold at LP-11 for 100ms or longer, at default setting. See Table 26 of PG202 
)
INIT_VAL.png

If you can initialize MIPI CSI-2 RX after you put sensor to sleep mode, this will work.

Thanks & regards
Leo

0 Kudos

Hi @xinyiz ,

Do you have any updates on this topic? Was @karnanl 's replies enough for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer xinyiz
Observer

@karnanl 

How do you know the Li camera was in sleep mode? I didn't send any command to the sensor after starting it. If it was in sleep mode, in what way was it waken up?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @xinyiz 

I do not know. You mentioned on your previous post that you put your sensor in sleep mode. (?!)

>When I program and start the sensor first and sleep for 10 seconds and then call XCsiSs_CfgInitialize() to initialize the csi subsystem, I can still receive frames, why?
>\Because your sensors outputs LP-11 on sleep mode.You can double check this using oscilloscope.

Thanks,
Leo

0 Kudos

Hi @xinyiz ,

Do you have any updates on this? Were @karnanl 's replies enough for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos