UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant hananz
Participant

pixels per clock

Jump to solution

I'm using to write the HDMI video to my DDR4 memory thru data mover IP. for the simulation of HDMI RX core I use "video timing controller" and "video in to AXI4-stream", on both of them set PPC as 2.

On the command of the data mover I need to send the "bytes to transfer" of data that would be delivered thru the data mover, and it seems that when I set it to the amount of the resolution X pixel width [Bytes] there is an error from the data mover, but if I double the "bytes to transfer"  there is no error.

it seems that I don't fully understand the PPC since the vtiming_out ("video timing controller") doesn't change and the vid_data width ("video in to AXI4-stream") isn't half of the video out width, then I truly have doubled the data, then why do I need 2 PPC?

Thank you,

Hanan 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: pixels per clock

Jump to solution

Hi @hananz,

The AXI4-Stream to video out is only using the timing generated from the VTC. It assumes the timing provided is correct (else it won't lock).

Then for the VTC, it does not care about pixels-per-clock. You have to provide the correct timing as mentioned in pg016:

VTC.JPG

So the tlast timing will change if the hsync timing from the VTC changes. And to have it change, you would need to divide your hsize by 2.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @hananz,

The Video Timing Controller won't change. You are respionsible to configure it properly when changing from 1 to 2 ppc.

For the AXI4S to video out or Video in to AXI4S, the data width should change depending if it is set up for 1 or 2 ppc.

2ppc can be used to slow the data to use a slower clock and help to meet timing

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @hananz,

This topic is still open and is waiting for you:

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please mark the response which helped as solution
    If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Best Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Participant hananz
Participant

Jump to solution

hi @florentw ,

I'm aware to all you have mentioned, but since the total transferred data should stay the same with ppc=1 or ppc=2 or any, I assumed that the AXIS timing (tlast) would be short by x2 (as defined by ppc=2) and it doesn't do that.

hanan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @hananz,

The AXI4-Stream to video out is only using the timing generated from the VTC. It assumes the timing provided is correct (else it won't lock).

Then for the VTC, it does not care about pixels-per-clock. You have to provide the correct timing as mentioned in pg016:

VTC.JPG

So the tlast timing will change if the hsync timing from the VTC changes. And to have it change, you would need to divide your hsize by 2.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos