UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer paulprins
Observer

using omx with ffmpeg on petalinux

Hello,

I am developing an application on petalinux and I use ffmpeg to encode and decode video but I want to start using the vcu to free up the cpu.

However I am struggling to get it to work. It searches for libOMX_Core.so or libOmxCore.so, both don't exist on my installation.

does anybody here have any experience on using omx and ffmpeg in petalinux, if so how did you manage to get it working?

I have tried linking libOMX.allegro.core.so to libOMX_Core.so but it tries using /dev/allegroIP which doesn't exist either and I have no idea what it is and where that comes from.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: using omx with ffmpeg on petalinux

HI @paulprins 

Did you already follow the section Preparing PetaLinux to Run VCU Applications of PG252? All the requirements should be documented

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer paulprins
Observer

well yes, but i have a few problems with that document. first of when following chapter 11 "design flow steps" you end up with the enc0 and mcu ports of the vcu unconnected.

second, in the section you mentioned is a part describing the patches it mentions .bbappend files but im not sure where to get them from. I do however have all drivers(al5e al5d and allegro) in my linux build by selecting them through petalinux-config -c kernel and -c rootfs. Do i still need to do the patches?

I now have a vivado project with the vcu connected by using the automate block design.

But when trying to run omx_encode from the omx integration layer i get the error "Couldnt allocate dma allocator (tried using /dev/ellagroIP)"

/dev/allegroIP doesn't exist.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Hi @paulprins 

I guess you might still need the recipies.

Just refer to the followimg topic, the user had the same issue. Starting from the BSP helped:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/xilinx-vcu-Could-not-get-core-enc-clock/td-p/896596

The BSP should include the recepies mentioned in the PG252

About the chapter 11 "design flow steps", it might be a miss. I think this will be updated in the next version of the PG

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer paulprins
Observer

Yeah I have looked at both zcu104 and zcu106. They dont have the bbappend files talked about in chapter 12 of pg252(so i think they also just selected them through petalinux-config?).

I can't use the bsp files directly because im using a custom board with the XCZU4EV-SFVC784E. So i tried looking at the hardware projects from zcu104 and zcu106 since they are using the vcu. I can't open the zcu106 project because i dont have the correct licenses. I can open the zcu104 project, but it uses the ddr4_controller block, frame buffers and it uses the gpio to control the resets which i dont want to do. But when i just add the vcu and use run block automation it uses registry slices. So now i have three different ways of connecting the vcu. The zcu104 way, the pg252 way and the block automation way.

The vcu should be able to function just on its own right, like in pg252?

0 Kudos

Hi @paulprins 

I am not sure what you mean when you ask if the VCU can run on his own.

Yes, you do not need to have a frame buffer but you need to use the ZynqMP processor and the linux drivers

Florent
0 Kudos