UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor lrb81
Visitor

About processing of Virtex series FPGAs

Jump to solution

As known,Virtex-II was produced under 130nm processing,Virtex-4 under 90nm, Virtex-5 under 65nm,and Virtex- 6 under 40nm,now question is:which generation stards to be produced on Silicon-on-oxide(SOI),and which generation remains bulk-COMS technology. Please tell me,all professionals!

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: About processing of Virtex series FPGAs

Jump to solution

i,

The next family will utilize TSMC 20nm SoC bulk CMOS process, again with hi-K metal gates similar to 28nm.  We will also have high-end Virtex parts in the bulk CMOS 16nm FinFet node from TSMC.

For some odd reason I cannot seem to fathom, CMOS on SOI just hasn't made it to the mainstream.  It remains a 'boutique' process, with very few takers.  SOI becomes less important for FinFet, yet it still has some avantages even there.

The SOI needed for optical is a thick back end oxide, which is different than than used for CMOS, and as optical doesn't need anything finer than 90 or even 65nm, and thick-BOX SOI for optical isn't good for electrical as it is only used with 65 or 90nm rules and dimensions.

SOI remains a solution seeking a problem.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar kotir
Scholar

Jump to solution

7- series devices are on 28 nm, high-k metal gate (HKMG) process technology. Meaning that the silicon dioxide gate dielectric is replaced with some other material.

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

i,

The next family will utilize TSMC 20nm SoC bulk CMOS process, again with hi-K metal gates similar to 28nm.  We will also have high-end Virtex parts in the bulk CMOS 16nm FinFet node from TSMC.

For some odd reason I cannot seem to fathom, CMOS on SOI just hasn't made it to the mainstream.  It remains a 'boutique' process, with very few takers.  SOI becomes less important for FinFet, yet it still has some avantages even there.

The SOI needed for optical is a thick back end oxide, which is different than than used for CMOS, and as optical doesn't need anything finer than 90 or even 65nm, and thick-BOX SOI for optical isn't good for electrical as it is only used with 65 or 90nm rules and dimensions.

SOI remains a solution seeking a problem.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor lrb81
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you so much!As you said,Virtex family FPGAs before Virtex-7 produced in UMC are all based on bulk silicon technology,is that correct?

0 Kudos