UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Dualport ROM

I have a made a VHDL module for a dualport ram which I have used in several projects over the years and it works amyzingly well. I am now trying to convert this to a ROM but I get some errors:

I have used a shared variable and two process for my RAM but if I remove the write-ports I get: ERROR:Xst:2073 - Unexpected use of shared variable <ram>

I then change my shared variable to a regular signal and everything works fine except that it occupies twice as many BRAM cells. A dual-port ram with a shared variable takes 18 blocks but when I change it to a signal and remove the write ports, it consumes 36 blocks. Does anyone have a clue on this?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Professor
Professor

Re: Dualport ROM

It's not clear why XST cannot infer dual-port memory without a write port, but for a workaround

you could leave  the write port in the code, i.e. use the same dual-port RAM code you have now,

and just tie off the unused signals when you instantiate the RAM.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor jossx
Visitor

ERROR Xst:2073 - Unexpected use of shared variable <conjunto_reg>.

I have the same problem, but only with spartan3a, xc3s700an... when I change the device the problem does not appear.

I am looking for the solution. Please if you have an Idea tell me... maybe together we can find a solution.

I tried using the language templates suggestions, but it does not work.

0 Kudos

Five years later...

I came across a similar problem in Vivado 2015.2.

module DPROM(Clk,EN,A1,Q1,A2,Q2);

input Clk, EN;
input [11:0] A1, A2;
output reg [7:0] Q1=0, Q2=0;

reg [7:0] T[0:4095];
integer i;
initial for (i=0; i<4096; i=i+1) T[i] = (i * (i + 2)) ^ 8'h55; // it is unimportant what is written here always @(posedge Clk) if (EN) {Q1, Q2} <= {T[A1], T[A2]}; endmodule

In this example everything is ok: synthesis gives one RAMB36. But if initial values of output registers aren't equal among themselves synthesis gives two RAMB36s.

output reg [7:0] Q1=0, Q2=5;

In ISE14.x it works correctly.

0 Kudos