UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

GTH line rates

Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm a bit confused about the possible line rates for the Virtex-6 GTH transcivers. As written in the GTH user guide the GTH support line rates of

• 1.24 Gb/s to 1.397 Gb/s
• 2.48 Gb/s to 2.795 Gb/s
• 4.96 Gb/s to 5.591 Gb/s
• 9.92 Gb/s to 11.182 Gb/s

....but I'd like to use the GTH interface at 8.0GBit/s.....    Is this possible or could raise problems?

Why is there no continous range for the GTH transcivers like the GTX transcivers?

Thank you a lot!

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: GTH line rates

Jump to solution

The GTH PLL has a narrow operating frequency range and was designed to meet the 9.92-11.182 Gb/s lines rates.  The other data rates (1/2, 1/4, 1/8) are available as they are simple binary divisions through oversampling.

The GTH cannot operate at 8.0 Gb/s.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The GTH PLL has a narrow operating frequency range and was designed to meet the 9.92-11.182 Gb/s lines rates.  The other data rates (1/2, 1/4, 1/8) are available as they are simple binary divisions through oversampling.

The GTH cannot operate at 8.0 Gb/s.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

i,

The ranges specified have been characterized.  The rate you mention, hasn't been checked.  Thus, we can't tell you what bit settings to use (there are many internal bits used to set various parameters), and we can't say anything about performance.  If you wish to play with it, go ahead (no promises, no guarantees).

If this is a big market item, and there is a lot of business behind it, then contact your Xilinx FAE, and make the case to have the rate characterized and supported.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Ed,

OK, so by design it can't do 8 Gbs.  I did not know that.

Thanks, I thought it was just a matter of characterization.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
...that's very bad news. Is there absolute no chance to get it running with 8.0 GBit/s? I understand that this setting is out of spec, but even the GTX was working very well at 8.0 GBit/s..... We planned to upgrade to V6, but I didn't expected this pitfall... Thanks a lot! John
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> Is there absolute no chance to get it running with 8.0 GBit/s?

No chance. 

> but even the GTX was working very well at 8.0 GBit/s

The V-5 GTX is spec'ed up to 6.5 Gb/s and the V-6 GTX is spec'ed up to 6.6 Gb/s and both used a very different architecture than the V-6 GTH.  If you managed to get a link a 8.0 Gb/s in either V-5 or V-6 it was likely not reliable and certainly would not be in a production environment.

The upcoming 7 Series FPGAs will support this line rate.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
> The upcoming 7 Series FPGAs will support this line rate. Thx for the hint.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie dusan_st

Jump to solution

Can you please tell me if V6 GTH can support GigE (1000Base-X) line rate (1.25Gbps). That protocol is not listed for direct support, but I wonder if some setting can be made in Wizard to make it work? What reference clock frequency would be needed?

0 Kudos