UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

How to configure switch boxes in VHDL in Virtex-5 device?

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to cobfigure switch boxes in VHDL, initialize them and connect them consecutively as you wish? I want to connect a series of switch boex together (the output of first is the input of the next), but I do not know is it possible through VHDL or not?

I thank in advance for any kind help and assist.

Regards,

@gszakacs

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: How to configure switch boxes in VHDL in Virtex-5 device?

m,

In a word, why?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thank Austin for your reply. I would like to connect a series of switch boxes consecutively in order to verfiy could it act as a delay line chain? That's why I am looking for a way to do that.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

m,

The carry chain has typically been used in the past to create a programmable fine grained delay line.

Programming interconnect to do that is hard, and results in unpredictable delay, large variation, and a variation in step size.

I would not recommend it.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Dear @dwisehart

Hello,

I just tumbled again to your post and the hint that you proposed ! Do you know how to configure IODELAY blocks in VHDL and what is the step size of delay in consecutive connected blocks?

Thanks and Regards,

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

@msdarvishi I do not know how to configure IODELAY blocks in VHDL, but the templates in Vivado should help you out.  If not, post a separate question asking for help.

As for step size, it depends on the REFCLK you use.  The effects of different frequencies are discussed here: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp707.pdf

Daniel

0 Kudos