UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie cida

How to configure the DCM using dynamic reconfiguration on Virtex-4

Dear all,

I'm interested on using the DCM ADV cell to generate a clock of programmable frequencies for an application. It should be straighforward yet I haven't manage to control the M and D parameters for the clock.

The Virtex-4 configuration guide just lists the signals to access the dynamic reconfiguration port of the DCM ADV, though the virtex-5 guide does show them in a timing diagram. They don't contradict themselves, just two registers to write on the Virtex-4 (0x50 for M, 0x52 for D) instead of a single one on the virtex-5...even better. Checked out the setup/hold timing of DCLK on the datasheet.

So I wrote a test code and no luck!  The signals are programmed to follow the chronogram shown in the virtex5 guide, and the DCM has its reset held meanwhile.

Could someone suggest something please? I'd appreciate

Many thanks in advance, 

Angel

Angel
------------------------------
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How to configure the DCM using dynamic reconfiguration on Virtex-4

All:

I am also looking for some guidance on how to dynamically (with reset) reconfigure a DCM.  I have a situation where a DCM need to be able to support 40, 80, 130, 240 MHz sources.

Is there an appnote that would guide us?

Peter

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chapter 6 of the Virtex-4 Configuration Guide has good details on how to use the DRP interface.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug071.pdf

I've used this many times without any issues. What kind of problem are you having?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Thanks for the pointer.  I did find ug191 (for my Virtex5 device) and put a state machine together to preload the M and D values before reset is released.  My problem is that I don't trust the models....and consequently don't have a lot of faith this will work when I burn it. 

The documentation only specifies the addresses for the M & D settings.  There is also another for the low and high range.  What other registers need to be considered?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

When you ... "burn" it? You do realize that you can reprogram an FPGA a virtually unlimited number of times, so why don't you simply verify your design in silicon?

Besides, if you don't trust the simulation models of the FPGA primitives, then you should verify that they work correctly. How else are you going to simulate your design without implementing and downloading it to the device every time?

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos