UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

How to cross multi-phase clock boundries

I have a clock generator on a custom board that creates multiple copies of a 200MHz signal to drive many components (ADCs/DACs/FPGA/etc).  The FPGA (a V6) then reads the ADC/DAC clocks and using it for clocking in/out signals.  What this means is that I have to cross clock domains (hopefully that is the right verbage here) twice (from ADC to FPGA, from FPGA to DAC).

What I am unsure of, is the proper way to handle the crossings.  The clocks will be running at the same frequency and should have consistent phase offsets (meaning miminal jitter), but I assume that due to trace lengths and paths within the FPGA, they will not be 100% in phase with each other.  The signals will be busses of data (12b and 16b wide).

I have been reading about using a FIFO core that has the source clock write in the data and the destination clock used to read the data out.  Is that the best way to handle this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: How to cross multi-phase clock boundries

You didn't say whether the ADC interface is source synchronous or whether it is clocked by the same clock as the FPGA.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Re: How to cross multi-phase clock boundries

They are all clocked by the same IC that is generating the 200MHz. So everything should be at the same frequency and any skew in rising/falling edges should be consisten (I would assume) once things are powered up and stable.

0 Kudos