cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to protect my Virtex5 design without battery?

For certainreasons, I could not use battery on my board, so the Virtex5 bitstream encryptioncould not be used. In this situation, what could I do to protect my design on areasonable level?

My design hasVirtex5 and XCF16P, and the two devices are linked on JTAG chain, and I programXCF16P with my design through JTAG chain. I have set the security options inboth BitGen and iMPACT utilities, so I can prevent any JTAG readback/partialreconfiguration though JTAG chain. However I have the following questions:

1. Although inhardware, XCF16P will be disabled after configuration is done. But with minorfly wire modifications in hardware, the attacker could access XCF16P afterconfiguration. And I found that using the combination of USER_ACCESS_VIRTEX5 +STARTUP_VIRTEX5 could make FPGA read back data from XCF16P, it is possible?

2. Since Idisabled the possibility of reading back via JTAG, need I initiateBSCAN_VIRTEX5 + ICAP_VIRTEX5 and clear the entire FPGA once JTAG chain activityis found?

Thanks a lot!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody help?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

an alternative solution to bitstream encryption to protect your IP core is to implement Physical Unclonable Functions in your design. PUFs are a unique class of physical systems that extract secrets from complex physical characteristics of the integrated circuits which along with the properties of unclonability provide a highly secure means of generating volatile secret keys for cryptographic operations. It is a quite new topic for FPGA; you can google it or look at wikipedia. You'll find valuable information.

Regards

Mariano

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I checked Physical Unclonable Functions, and I found it is quite new and could not be implemented immediately.

Now I have to deal with it quickly for the following production. 

0 Kudos