cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhj1985
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to simulate GSR signal during behavior simulation

I know I can assign zero to all the registers to initialize them(like the verilog test fixture generated by default) during the behavior simulation. But I want to use glbl.v to make the process of behavior simulation more alike to the real situation. I have writen the following code, but it doesn’t work and I don’t know why. I load the simulation by modelsim which starts directly form ISE.

// the start of the code

`timescale 1ns / 1ps

module counter(clk,reset,count);

input clk,reset;

output reg[7:0] count;

reg mygsr;

always @ (posedge clk)

if (!reset)

count <= 0;

else

count <= count + 1;

endmodule

//the end  

//the following is the testbench

`timescale 1ns / 1ps

module testbench();

reg reset;

wire[7:0] count;

reg GSR;

assign glbl.GSR=GSR;

reg GTS;

assign glbl.GTS=GTS;

reg CLK;

initial

begin

GSR=1;GTS=1;

reset=1;

GSR=0; GTS=0;

end

parameter PERIOD = 100;

always begin

CLK = 1'b0;

#(PERIOD/2) CLK = 1'b1;

#(PERIOD/2);

end 

counter mycounter(.clk(CLK),.reset(reset),.count(count));

endmodule

截图00.jpg
0 Kudos
6 Replies
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

I'm not sure what you expect GSR to do.  For a behavioral simulation there

is no connection between GSR and your inferred logic.  GSR will reset

any instantiated library elements, however.  You might want to try

post translate  simulation to see what GSR can do...

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
zhj1985
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you for your attention to this post.

In the article "Understanding the Global Signals for Simulation"(which could be found at the link below), it is said that if a global set/reset is desired for behavioral simulation, it must be included in the behavioral code. So I want to try it to make it work. I know when I do the behavior simulation, I can just initialize all the registers to zero. But it is different from the real circuit which initialize all the registers by GSR after the configuration. However, the code which list above doesn't work and I want to know why.

But after reading your answer, I am a little confused. Do you mean I can only include the above code(which simulates GSR signal) for post place & route simulation? But in my view, GSR will be included by default when I do the post place & route simulation. I just need to compile glbl.v and don't need to include GSR signal in my testbench.

(http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx4/data/docs/sim/simu8.html)

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

What I am saying is that the GSR signal itself is not the problem.  In fact even for behavioral simulation

GSR is weakly driven active by default for 100 ns at the start of simulation and then weakly driven inactive.

The GSR signal is a global signal used by all of the library models including any CoreGen modules.  However your

behavioral code (not the testbench, but the code you are putting in the FPGA) would need to model

the GSR behavior for this to reset the registers during behavioral simulation.  After translation your

code is replaced by the library models for simulation.  Then the GSR will reset the registers.

Most people don't try to make the behavioral code match the GSR behavior of the models.  If you already

have a reset signal to your module, just drive that active at the start of simulation.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
zhj1985
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you very much for your answer and especially, the patience.

Firstly, influenced by wp272, now generally, I don't use additional reset signal in my code and rely on GSR signal to reset all my registers in real circuit. So, in order to make the process of behavior simulation more like the real situation, I want to use GSR signal to reset all my registers too rather than initialize all the registers to zero.

However, at first, I think there is no need to change the code (not the testbench, but the code I am putting in the FPGA) even if I want to use GSR signal to reset the registers during behavior simulation. Now I know, in this way, I have to model the GSR behavior for this, which isn't what I expect. So, if it is true, maybe initializing all the registers is a more easy way. Am I right?

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

Initializing registers is the simplest way to make your simulation match the

post-translate behavior.  If you are worried about using resources for

unnecessary resets, you could do this two ways:

1) In each module place an initial block that initializes the registers at the

start of simulation.  Enclose the initial block with "translate_off ... translate_on"

directives like:

// synthesis translate_off

initial begin

reg1 = 0;

. . .

regN = 0;

end

// synthesis translate_on

This method will match the configuration reset if all the initial values are zero.

2) My preferred method is to give all registers an asynchronous reset in

the synthesizable code.  Generally there is little or no such code in my top

level module, only in the lower-level modules instantiated at the top level.

If I don't really need the reset, I then tie the reset input low when I instantiate

the module.  Testbenches for each module would drive the reset port

at time zero.

Example module:

module counter(clk,reset,count);

input clk,reset;

output reg[7:0] count;

always @ (posedge clk or posedge reset)

if (reset)

count <= 5;  // Note that this doesn't need to be zero. GSR will match this value even if reset is tied low

else

count <= count + 1;

endmodule

Then at the top level:

counter u1

(

.clk (clock),

.reset (1'b0),  // This does not change the power-on behavior of the module registers

.count (count)

);

In a testbench I would drive reset high for at least 100 ns.  This is to avoid problems when

parts of the design use library elements held in "power-on reset" by GSR.

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
zhj1985
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you very much for your answers and patience during this series of discussion about the GSR signal and the proper way to reset the registers. And your knowledge about FPGA has impressed me a lot.

I start to think about those things seriously when I encountered a problem during the behavioral simulation. In that case, since I don't initialize those registers to zero, the counter which used those registers cannot work correctly.

And especially after reading wp272, which discusses how to handle the reset signal more smartly and properly, I want to reset all the registers that way. Since all the registers will be reseted by GSR signal, I want to rely on that signal rather than other manual reset in order to use less logical resources. Although all the flip-flops have dedicated reset port, others resources, such as routing resources, really should be considered.

Afterwards, I want to use GSR signal even during my behavioral simulation to make the behavioral simulation match the post-Place & Route simulation. So I wrote the above code, which I find a little funny because during behavioral simuation how could those tools like modelsim know what is GSR signal. Now in my view, maybe initializing those relevant registers(for example, those which I will use to count and other registers don't need additonal initialization ) to zero is a more proper way especially considering that I don't want to add any additionaly signal in my code(not the testbench) for GSR signal during behavioral simulation.  I want my code is exactly the same during behavioral simulation and post-Plance & Route simulation.

As for your two recommendation way to handle this problem, the first way is really proper and "synthesis translate_off" may not be added additionally. As for your second ways, I have implemented your code using ISE 10.1. If I assign zero to reset signal at the top level, the synthesis and implementation process will ingore this reset like it doesn't exist. And during behavioral simulation, you can drive reset signal high for 100ns to let it like GSR. But the last a little confused thing is that maybe you should write the code like the following:
/////////
if (reset)
 count <= 0;
//////////   
Otherwise, those registers will not be zero after the first 100ns during the behavioral simulation. I am really confused about your words"note that this doesn't need to be zero". How can GSR match this value during behavioral simulation because during it, there is no GSR. If you don't mean using this reset signal to stimulate GSR signal during behaviroal simulation and don't assign zero to reset signal at the top level, I think this vaule should be zero too. Only in the follwoing two situation can you assign any value to those registers:

(1) don't assign zero to reset signal at the top level and don't use this reset signal anytime. But those logical and routing resource will be wasted.

(2) assign zero to reset at the top level. Since the synthesis tool will ignore reset signal, in this case you could also assign any value to "count".

Do you mean those two situation?

Regards,

Mike

Message Edited by zhj1985 on 04-17-2009 12:44 AM
0 Kudos