UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie andreas318

Impedance of Virtex-5 between VCC and GND

Hi,

I'm working for an EMS and a customer of ours uses a Virtex-5 device (XC5VLX110) on one of his boards.

In order to detect soldering shorts we measure among others the impedance (resistance) between the 1V0 VCC of the FPGA and GND. The resistance value usually is in a range of 10 - 15 ohms.

However the last batch had some boards which showed values below 10 ohm (2 - 7 ohms). Those boards are working properly in FAT so I assume there's nothing wrong with the Virtex-5 devices.

Anyway I'd like to ask if those values below 10 ohms are fine also?

Everything below 5 ohms seems unusually low to me but I have no experience if this is relevant for the proper function of the device.

We also noticed that some of the boards with values below 10 ohms changed their resistance to over 10 ohms after FAT. Probably because of the Power on sequence. Is this a normal behavior?

I'd appreciate feedback on those questions / topics. Thank you in advance!

- Andreas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Impedance of Virtex-5 between VCC and GND

@andreas318 This is normal. As long as resistance between VCC and GND is more than 1 Ohm it is good and can be used.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie andreas318

Hi @pratham

Thanks for your reply!

One more question: How can the change of resistance after Power on be explained? (just in case our customer asks)

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

a,

Resistance measurement depends on your equipment compliance voltage (the voltage used in the current source), the current used to make the measurement, the temperature, and the process corner (variability) of the Xilinx device.

CAUTION:

The compliance voltage used may destroy the Xilinx device:  the absolute maximum ratings of the data sheet must be observed to prevent damage.  Use of a low ohm range ohmmeter is not recommended unless it is characterized to be safe to use (the voltages and currents are below the absolute maximum ratings).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Newbie andreas318

Hi @austin

Thanks for your reply!

The part that I don't fully understand is how is it possible that the resistance value changes before and after Power-on?

We did the measurement on the same board with the same XILINX device mounted using the same measuring equipment.

For example:

Resistance before Power-on between VCC and GND: 6 ohms

Resistance after Power-on between VCC and GND: 11.5 ohms

Regarding your CAUTION note:

For all in-circuit resistance measurements we use a Takaya Flying Probe. Not more than 0.2 Volts will be applied during those measurements. So I assume there is no danger of destroying the XILINX devices.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

a,

Yes, that is just fine (0.2v max).

The temperature is a exponential factor for static current.  The temperature also affects the saturation voltage at the gate (first order linear?).  So getting a different reading after it has been powered ON, even for a few moments is just telling you the temperature of the die is different as the various factors affecting the resistance have changed.

At 0.2 volts you are in the sub-threshold region, and no one really characterizes anything there, as the variation is so great, that nothing may be modeled, nor predicted.

It might be fun to take a resistance reading with a part in a temperature chamber, but there is no guarantee the next part's process corner will be similar, and you will get a different curve.

Austin

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Newbie andreas318

Thank you @austin for that detailed feedback. I appreciate it.

One last question: Do you agree with pratham's comment that everything over 1 Ohm is fine and can be used?

0 Kudos