Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashkel
Visitor
Visitor

ML501 Board RS-232 Serial Communication

Hello,

I am very new to FPGAs and am trying to implement some very simple RS232 communication between an ML501 board and a PC. What I would like to accomplish is to be able to press a button on the FPGA and register some kind of "Hello World" message in HyperTerminal or a similar program. I am a little stuck on how I should access the RS232 port from the verilog code that I'm writing however. I read the documentation for this board and it does not mention anything about which FPGA pins correspond to RX and TX. Is there some higher level UART module that I can access or is there at least a way to set values for the RX and TX pins?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Two ways to quickly determine RX and TX pins:

1. Read the ML501 board schematics (they should be avail online for download)
  2. Open the ML501 FPGA reference design in the ISE design SW suite, and the pinouts should be in the .UCF file.

You don't mention whether you are a board designer, a programmer, student, FPGA design student, etc. etc.   If you have no longterm interest in FPGA design, it seems silly to expect you to learn the design tools and design language to make a simple one-time FPGA design change.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Normal, I can agree with RTFM type response, but in this case the pin information for the RS232 port is missing from the UG226 the ML501 User Guide, if you look at the schematics you will see that the  following:

AD14 -> UART_SOUT -> T2IN  on the ADM3202ARUZ RS-232 driver

AC7  <- UART_SIN  <- R2OUT on the ADM3202ARUZ RS-232 driver

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
ashkel
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for.

0 Kudos
jotz

It is not Clear Enough still so my question is

AD14 must be the pin used to transfer data from the FPGA to the PC and AC7 must be the pin to transfer data from the PC to the FPGA?

Thanks

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

AD14 must be the pin used to transfer data from the FPGA to the PC and AC7 must be the pin to transfer data from the PC to the FPGA?

Yes.  The <- and -> arrows in mcgett's post are your helps.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos