UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor mahalegv
Visitor

Need Help in DVI port interfacing

Hi,

I have a XUPV5-LX110T ( virtex 5 ) kit, which has a DVI port on it. I want to interface it so that i can display it on the TFT screen. Only microblaze processor can be configured on this. I came across a TFT core in Xilinx.  Can you please send me a document or information on how to use it on XPS or ISE for this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor mahalegv
Visitor

Re: Need Help in DVI port interfacing

Can you please help me in this>?

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I have a XUPV5-LX110T ( virtex 5 ) kit, which has a DVI port on it.

This is strictly an output port.

I want to interface it so that i can display it on the TFT screen.

The V5 on this board does not drive the DVI port directly.  V5 drives a Chrontel CH7301C RGB-to-DVI formatter.  You can learn how to generate video for this device by reading the CH7301C datasheet.

Only microblaze processor can be configured on this.

I don't understand this statement.  Nothing stops you from generating your own design for this board.  You can use MicroBlaze, but the video out design is simple enough that you should be able to design state machines to generate video output without much trouble.

I came across a TFT core in Xilinx.

You don't need this core.  You'll be driving the Chrontel chip -- not DVI, and not a (TFT) LCD.  There are two layers of translation (Chrontel and DVI) between the FPGA and an LCD.

Can you please send me a document or information on how to use it on XPS or ISE for this?

First step is to read the Chrontel datasheet.  Start with generating something simple, like a black screen with a horizontal white lines.  Then change the pattern to a rectangular box on black background.  Then try squares of varying colours.  This will confirm your state machine counters and timing, your ability to control the R/G/B colour planes, and your ability to feed the Chrontel device as it expects.  From there, you're in good shape and you won't need help from anyone.

It wouldn't hurt to download the DVI specification, or search Wikipedia for DVI information.  The Wiki pages are very good with lots of links to related websites and documents.

Note: this all presumes that you are experienced in FPGA design.  If you have never completed an FPGA design, this is much too complicated for your first learning project.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Visitor mahalegv
Visitor

Thank you very much for the guidance. 

0 Kudos