Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

P&R failure

Hi,

My project uses virtex 6 XC6VLX760.  The LUT utilization from synthesis report (synplify_premier) is around 70%.  In most cases it couldn't be succssfully routed.  I have seen the least 3 signals are not completely route, the most, like 199081 signals are not completely routed. Sometimes ISE spends 22 hours, sometimes 5 hours and then reports it can't finish the job. 

There are a lot of timing violations which we are working on to clean up.

My question is if it's common that ISE can't finish the job if the utiliaztion is around 70%?  Is there any way to improve it? like timing clean up? 

Thanks

Regards,

Junling

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

J,

Try a slower set of global clock constraints.  See if it completes with lower constraints.

It may very well be that your clock frequency is too aggressive, not the number of LUT.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

The frequency is not high.  it's within 40MHz range.  So it may help if we clean up timing violations?

Regards,

Junling

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

J,

If the clock is only 40 MHz, that suggests that you have far too many levels of logic in your design.  I would examine where you have such huge delays from many levels of logic, and figure out how to re-architect it to reduce the number of levels of logic between registers.

This sounds like RTL (verilog or VHDL) that was written for an ASIC that is now targeted for a FPGA device.  In an ASIC, many levels of logic might have a very small delay, while in a FPGA device, every level of logic requires interconnect.  And, the RTL may not be making use of DSP, BRAM, and other hardened blocks that would be very efficent (and much faster).

To achieve high speeds, one has to limit the number of levels of logic between registers to a small number, like no more than 3 LUT cascaded.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks.  Yes, you are right, the RTL is originally written for ASIC. 

So what you mean is the number of levels would cause huge delays (I understand this)  and then would affect the ISE to finish the routing. 

Regards,

Junling

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Because the ISE routing algorithm is timing-driven, having fast clock period constraints will cause it to try many different ways of routing to meet those, before finally failing. It will succeed first time it the clock period is slow (that is, large) enough.

To run your algorithm at a fast clock speed, it will have to be pipelined (which will increase latency in terms of clock periods). The tools can help you with this.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos