UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor adrianjgp
Visitor

Problem using Platform Cable USB with ML501 EVM

Hello everybody.

I'm not yet familiar with programming of the FPGA but now I need to implement my design in my Virtex-5 ML501 EVM. I don't have a Platform Cable USB II so I get a Platform Cable USB and test to set a JTAG chain to download a .bit file.

After connecting and opening the ChipScope Pro I get the next error:

COMMAND: open_cable
INFO: Started ChipScope host (localhost:50001)
INFO: Successfully opened connection to server: localhost:50001 (localhost/127.0.0.1)
INFO: Trying to open Xilinx Platform USB Cable on port USB2
ERROR: ERROR:Cse - A reference voltage has not been detected on the ribbon cable interface to the target system ( pin 2 ).  Check that power is applied to the target system and that the ribbon cable is properly seated at both ends.  The status LED on Platform Cable USB will be GREEN if target voltage is in the proper range and applied to the correct pin.
INFO: Trying to open Digilent USB JTAG Cable on port (no port specified)
INFO: Trying to open Xilinx Parallel Cable on port LPT1
INFO: Trying to open Xilinx Parallel Cable on port LPT2
INFO: Trying to open Xilinx Parallel Cable on port LPT3
INFO: Trying to open Xilinx Parallel Cable on port LPT4
ERROR: Failed to detect cable.
Try to open a specific cable from the 'JTAG Chain' menu.

I checked the connection between the JTAG cable and the board and also the reference voltage of 3.3V. Besides, the indicator LED is always orange. I repeated the test using iMPACT software but I get the same error.

On the board, I checked the J14 jumper was set, the J21 was disabled (the expansion JTAG chain is not set) and the DIP switch SW15 4 to 6 is "101" (JTAG Mode) and 8 is "0" (System ACE Configuration disabled). As far as I know those are the only physical configurations I must modify.

Does anyone know the reason of this error? Do I have to set some additional board configuration or parameter in the programming software?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: Problem using Platform Cable USB with ML501 EVM

Possibilities:

• Board is not turned on
  • USB Platform Cable ribbon cable is not correctly connected to J1 (e.g. backwards)
  • Platform Cable has gone bad (test this on a known good board)
  • Board has gone bad (test board on a known good iMPACT + cable system)
  • something else

Do you have any other Xilinx hardware or other programming system available to you, so you can narrow down the possibilities for the problem?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos