UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Problem with sampling of the outputs of a CARRY4 delay line chain

Hello friends,

I would like to share my current issue with you and get your advise about it. I am working on a CARRY4 delay line based design in order to sample its output and in each clock rising edge, I would like to compare the sampled output with the old latched output by CARRY4 delay line chain.
I configured a delay line with CARRY4 primitives with 256 states that captures a digital signal called trigger coming from an LFSR (Linear Feedback Shift Register). At each rising clock transition of tdc_clock that is 400 MHz, I sample the captured signal by a DFlipFlop and compare it with its previous captured signal. As you see in the attached timing diagram, I provide the compared_output signal by subtracting the latched_output (captured by delay line) and thesampled_outout to detect any difference. A flag called ODC_result_sig will be raised if the comparison result is not 0.  But I do not know why my compared result is not always 0 because I did not inject any extra delay to the digital signal and ODC_result_sig is raised unnecessarily. Could you please verify my timing diagram and give me your idea to figure out the problem?

I also send you my architecture for sampling and comparison as well as the definitions of sampling circuit and its initialization and the comparison method in the following:

------------------ Sampling circuit with DFF -----------------

Inst_DFF: DFF PORT MAP(
D => latched_output_sig,
Q => sampled_output_sig,
QN => open,
CLK => clock_400MHz_AND,
RESET =>  sync_reset
);
-----------------------------------------------------------------

------------- writing a process for compared_output calculation -------
process (clock_400MHz_AND, latched_output_sig, sampled_output_sig) begin if(RISING_EDGE(clock_400MHz_AND)) then compared_output <= sampled_output_sig - latched_output_sig ; compared_output_1bit <= sampled_output_sig(255 downto 254) - latched_output_sig(255 downto 254); compared_output_first <= sampled_output_sig(15 downto 0) - latched_output_sig(15 downto 0); end if; end process; -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I thank in advance for your always kind consideration and assist.
pic1.png
pic 2 sampling architecture.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Professor
Professor

Re: Problem with sampling of the outputs of a CARRY4 delay line chain

It looks like the output of your TDC block is changing twice each time you get a trigger.  If this is expected, and you only want to compare the values after the trigger goes low, then you need to account for it in your delay and compare logic.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos