UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer syedhuqa
Observer

Question regarding I/O Standards in different banks

Hi,

I'm using a Virtex-5 FPGA and I just had a question regarding the usage of the I/O pins. I am using the Bank 11 in order to get an output from a pin and an input to the pin. I've set them as LVTTL standard but I only get 1.5V on the pin. Is there a reason for it ? I still haven't given a 3.3V input but I'm unsure now if I can give a 3.3V LVTTL standard on the pin. This is also in the same Bank 11. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: Question regarding I/O Standards in different banks

While the I/O standard is supposed to reflect the output voltage of the I/O, it is really the VCCO for the bank that determines this. Thus, programming a pin as LVTTL will only result in a 3.3V signal swing if the VCCO of that bank is driven wth a 3.3V supply.

So, if you are only getting 1.5V out of the pin, there are two possible reasons

1) Something is wrong with your VCCO. If this isn't 3.3V, then the pin will not be able to drive to 3.3V

2) There is something else driving the pin in addition to the FPGA. If the pin transitions between 0V and 1.5V, then it is likely that there is another driver that is trying to hold the pin at 0V. This can happen due to a board design error, or a manufacturing error (the pin is shorted to another pin).

It is important to understand which of these this is. If it is 2), then you can safely drive a 3.3V input to the bank. If it is 1), though, driving an input to 3.3V will forward bias the protection diode on the pin (which is connected to VCCO), and could damage the protection diode.

Avrum

Observer syedhuqa
Observer

Thanks for the response! So if the VCCO to that particular bank is 1.5V, then we cannot drive an input of 3.3V to the bank either ?

0 Kudos

yes, you should not drive 3.3v lvttl input when the vcco is 1.5v

check the table 6-39 in virte-5 user guide

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug190.pdf

--Krishna