UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

SERDES for virtex5

Hi,

i plan to use SERDES(LVDS) as backplane for my design. I have gone through the advnced IO section in the virtex5 user guide and have seen the ISERDES_NODELAY and OSERDES macros.

i have seen some nice application notes for implementing serdes in spartan fpgas but nothing for Virtex5?

Can anyone point me to some resources on properly implementing serdes(lvds) using V5 fpgas. I will be transmitting 100MBps data and clock from the master to 10 slaves(connected to backplane).What are the electrical considerations to be taken? Is a mictor connector with ribbon cables good for transmitting such signals or shall i use RF connectors with co-axial cables.

Kindly bear with my negligience as this is my first attempt at designing backplane.

thanks in advance

waris 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SERDES for virtex5

From http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/virtex-5_application_notes.htm

Have a look at Xapp855 16-Channel, DDR LVDS Interface with Per-Channel Alignment  or Xapp860 16-Channel, DDR LVDS Interface with Real-Time Window Monitoring or  Xapp856 SFI-4.1 16-Channel SDR Interface with Bus Alignment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Explorer
Explorer

thanks for the link.

The application note shows data rates of 600Mbps to 1400mbps. My requirement is to transmit data received from the USB interface(approx. 100Mbps). I had initially planned to use a 16bit parallel data bus to transmit the data to the 10 slaves connected on the backplane(i.e to use a parallel bus as backplane). In that case i will be transmitting using a clock of 6-7 MHz(16*6=96Mbps).My apprehensions are regarding running 16-20 lines for 1-2 feets that is why i am thinking of using serial link (16:1 SERDES) at 100Mbps.

Which method will be better for this requirement ?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Help plz.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In V5, the SERDES cannot support -16 data width in one link.
Because you data rate is not hign, I think you can write your Serdes module. The timing should be OK.
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

What about the eletrical connections bet ween master and slaves(10)?

0 Kudos
Visitor sridhar_cool
Visitor

Can anyone explain me abouth the concept of deserializer and bit slip feature fo 7 series using mmcm

0 Kudos