UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer aliasnikhil
Observer

Trouble integrating 200MHz differential clock with sysgen module ML605 board

Jump to solution

Hi,

I created my design using the System Generator. I want to use the differential clock on the ML605 board.

I read some posts on this forum which advise on how to instantiate an IBUFGDS primitive (in a wrapper .v file) and give the output of the primitive to the sysgen module (instantiated under the same wrapper). I opened the sysgen .v files but I am confused as to which is the real clock and which should be connected to my IBUFGDS clock output. It has a lot of modules and I do not understand reason for their presence. Please help me understand them.

Note: My sysgen project name is 'XXX'

module xlclockdriver (sysclk, sysclr, sysce, clk, clr, ce, ce_logic);

endmodule

module default_clock_driver_XXX (ce_1, clk_1, sysclk, sysce, sysce_clr);

* xlclockdriver instantiated inside this module

endmodule

module XXX_cw(clk...)

endmodule

Looking from the code, I see that 'sysclk' in first module is input and 'clk' is output and it contains a statement:

assign clk = sysclk;

Does this mean that I assgin the clock output of my IBUFGDS to 'sysclk'?

Please help.

Thanks!

-Nik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Trouble integrating 200MHz differential clock with sysgen module ML605 board

Jump to solution

Here is what I recommend:

Create a separate wrapper file say top.v

In top.v, instantiate IBUFGDS, BUFG, etc and xxx_cw block

Connect BUFG output to clk input of xxx_cw

@aliasnikhil wrote:

Hi,

I created my design using the System Generator. I want to use the differential clock on the ML605 board.

I read some posts on this forum which advise on how to instantiate an IBUFGDS primitive (in a wrapper .v file) and give the output of the primitive to the sysgen module (instantiated under the same wrapper). I opened the sysgen .v files but I am confused as to which is the real clock and which should be connected to my IBUFGDS clock output. It has a lot of modules and I do not understand reason for their presence. Please help me understand them.

endmodule

endmodule

module XXX_cw(clk...)

endmodule

Looking from the code, I see that 'sysclk' in first module is input and 'clk' is output and it contains a statement:

assign clk = sysclk;

Please help.

Thanks!

-Nik

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Trouble integrating 200MHz differential clock with sysgen module ML605 board

Jump to solution

Here is what I recommend:

Create a separate wrapper file say top.v

In top.v, instantiate IBUFGDS, BUFG, etc and xxx_cw block

Connect BUFG output to clk input of xxx_cw

@aliasnikhil wrote:

Hi,

endmodule

endmodule

module XXX_cw(clk...)

endmodule

assign clk = sysclk;

Please help.

Thanks!

-Nik

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Observer aliasnikhil
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm, you say that I should remove the  instantiations of the "xlclockdriver" and "default_clock_driver_XXX" modules. Just instantiate the XXX_cw module and the IBUFGDS modules and connect the output clock to 'clk' input of XXX_cw module?

Also, why would I need a BUFG if I am already using an IBUFGDS? Should I use a BUFG in between the IBUFGDS and my module?

I have attached the final HDL file (which I think is the complete wrapper file generated by sysgen). Please take a look and let me know. The 2 clock_driver modules above, generated by sysgen, also pass signals like sysclr etc which I am not sure will disrupt my XXX module if those modules are removed.

Thanks!

-Nik

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes, just instantiate XXX_cw in your top level verilog module. IBUFGDS is just a speical input buffer. It doesn't include a BUFG in it. You will need to add it yourself.

@aliasnikhil wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm, you say that I should remove the  instantiations of the "xlclockdriver" and "default_clock_driver_XXX" modules. Just instantiate the XXX_cw module and the IBUFGDS modules and connect the output clock to 'clk' input of XXX_cw module?

Also, why would I need a BUFG if I am already using an IBUFGDS? Should I use a BUFG in between the IBUFGDS and my module?

I have attached the final HDL file (which I think is the complete wrapper file generated by sysgen). Please take a look and let me know. The 2 clock_driver modules above, generated by sysgen, also pass signals like sysclr etc which I am not sure will disrupt my XXX module if those modules are removed.

Thanks!

-Nik

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos