UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor marslan010
Visitor

USB 2 USB data transfer..?

hi , I want to do USB flash drive 2 USB flash drive data transfer using vertex 5 .. have no idea how to start it... please guide me...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Re: USB 2 USB data transfer..?

You have to include a lot more information before we can help you. eyeroll2-small.gif For example:

1. How much experience do you have with FPGA development and with HDLs?
  2. Have you ever done anything even remotely as complex as this project?
  3. What board are you using?

Please answer these questions, as further questions/advice will depend on them.

Also, in the future, don't post the same question in multiple boards, that makes it only more difficult to help you.

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

In your other thread, you'll find links to boards and lists of boards available for purchase, with both Virtex 5 devices and USB ports in a ready-to-use configuration.  This gives you a running starting point for your applications.  You will still need to design or provide your own application code -- and this represents a substantial amount of effort and expertise all by itself.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor marslan010
Visitor

thanks for replying that quickly..

I am an engineering student and has studied verilog as a subject..

also I made a project in these summers. my project was to develop an interface between FPGA and SIm300 dz ( GSM module) . this was a serial interface . I send and recieved messeges and also dailed numbers. I also made the serial interface between FPGA and PC and that was also successful.

I am using ML 507 Vertex 5

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

If this is a course-related study project, the course instructor (and the course outline) should provide some guidance for you on how to proceed with your project.

If you have not been given any guidance on what needs to be done, and how to start, you should discuss this with your instructor.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

The ML507 has a USB controller chip on-board, read the ML507 user guide to find out the name of the controller and how to connect the FPGA with it. Then search the web for the data sheet of the controller and find out how to use it.

Adrian

If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
Historian
Historian

@marslan010 wrote:

hi , I want to do USB flash drive 2 USB flash drive data transfer using vertex 5 .. have no idea how to start it... please guide me...

Bob's right. Your instructor needs to provide some real guidance. Reading from a USB flash drive is not a simple project.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor marslan010
Visitor

actually this is not a course project and I want do it all by myself.... I am trying to figure out how to use the on board chip for USB ... but is it possible to do the communication with USB flash drive without that chip?? 

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I am trying to figure out how to use the on board chip for USB ... but is it possible to do the communication with USB flash drive without that chip??

You want to transfer files to/from a USB storage device without using USB?  To do this, you would need logic on the FPGA which emulates a USB interface, and that would likely be more complicated and risky than simply using the onboard USB interface.  You would be picking your way throufh the USB interface specification (which is heavily laden with academic-speak), figuring out what you need (or don't need) to implement.

Hey, it's your project.  Whatever floats your boat, so to speak.

You may want to start with by taking the easy path - use the USB device.  You can always design around it after you get the USB protocol, filesystem manager, and user interface running.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

marslan,

you can't bypass the USB controller on the board because it is the only connection to the USB connector, i.e. the FPGA can't directly control the physical USB signals.

Adrian

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

you can't bypass the USB controller on the board because it is the only connection to the USB connector

@adrian - don't give marslan any ideas!

@marslan - if  you want to break your project into smaller chunks, you can start with SPI or SD card file transfer.  SPI is much simpler than USB, and you can interface to SD cards with an SPI interface.  Once you get file transfer safely tucked away, you can tackle USB.  - Just an idea...

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Visitor marslan010
Visitor

yes, thats a good starting point . Now I am going to read about SD cards and SPI interface...thanks..

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Now I am going to read about SD cards and SPI interface...thanks

This might be helpful...

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@marslan010 wrote:

actually this is not a course project and I want do it all by myself.... I am trying to figure out how to use the on board chip for USB ... but is it possible to do the communication with USB flash drive without that chip?? 

The real problem is that you need a USB host controller, not a device controller, in your FPGA. And there's a lot of software overhead required, which means the processor in your FPGA needs to implement the USB stack, know how to enumerate mass-storage devices, and also deal with the filesystem.

IOW, it's not simple at all.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos