UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer abaxor
Observer

Unroute able clock but global clock input used

I have a Microblaze Design with some user logic running on a Virtex 5 LX30T-FF665. The clock is located at  LOC= AC18.

During MAP I receive the error:

ERROR:Place:1014 - Unroutable Placement! A clock IOB / PLL clock component pair have been found that are not placed at a
   routable clock IOB / PLL site pair. The CLKIO component <fpga_0_clk_1_sys_clk_pin> is placed at site <IOB_X1Y27>. The
   corresponding PLL component <clock_generator_0/clock_generator_0/PLL0_INST/Using_PLL_ADV.PLL_ADV_inst> is placed at
   site <PLL_ADV_X0Y1>. The clock IO site can use the fast path between the IOB and the PLL if both the IOB & PLL are
   placed in the same half of the device (TOP or BOTTOM). This placement is UNROUTABLE in PAR and therefore, this error
   condition should be fixed in your design. You may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .ucf file to demote
   this message to a WARNING in order to generate an NCD file. This NCD file can then be used in FPGA Editor to debug
   the problem. A list of all the COMP.PINS used in this clock placement rule is listed below. These examples can be
   used directly in the .ucf file to demote this ERROR to a WARNING.
   < NET "fpga_0_clk_1_sys_clk_pin" CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE = FALSE; >
   < PIN "clock_generator_0/clock_generator_0/PLL0_INST/Using_PLL_ADV.PLL_ADV_inst.CLKIN1" CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE =
   FALSE; >

If I do this than PAR can not route this signal

WARNING:Route:436 - The router has detected an unroutable situation for one or more connections. The router will finish
   the rest of the design and leave them as unrouted. The cause of this behavior is either an issue with the placement
   or unroutable placement constraints. To allow you to use FPGA editor to isolate the problems, the following is a list
   of (up to 10) such unroutable connections:
     Unroutable      signal: fpga_0_clk_1_sys_clk_pin_IBUF      pin:
clock_generator_0/clock_generator_0/PLL1_INST/Using_PLL_ADV.PLL_ADV_inst/CLKIN1

Why can a global clock signal not routed to a PLL?. How may I overcome this error.

Thomas Reinemann

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Unroute able clock but global clock input used

Hi,

In Virtex-5, PLLs in the top half of the device are driven by the global clock pins in bank3 and PLLs in the bottom half of the device are driven by the global clock pins in bank4.

In your design, you are using a PLL (PLL_ADV_X0Y1) in top half and its CLKIN is connected to GCLK (IOB_X1Y27) from bank 4. It is violation and MAP is unable to mapping it so giving an error.

If you are using PLL_ADV_X0Y1, CLKIN1 of the PLL should be connected to any of the following pins of bank 3.

IO_L9P_GC_3

IO_L8P_GC_3

IO_L7P_GC_3

IO_L6P_GC_3

IO_L5P_GC_3

Hope this helps and removes your error.

You can have documentaion about this in Virtex-5 user guide (please use below link)

Refer to page no:100

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug190.pdf

Thanks

Siva

0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi Thomas,

Clocks are special nets, requiring special care.

Special drivers are used to drive these (in most cases) large nets.

Therefore only a limited number of pins are qualified to serve as clock inputs.

You find these in the datasheet and the pin names in the pinout drawings and some tools like PlanAhead give you a hint too.

All other I/Os are unlikely to be routed to clock driving ressources like PLLs or GBUFs, or cause other problems when used.

Additionally, larger FPGAs are divided into special clock regions, and that's why even not every valid clock input can be routed to any PLL. It's just a limitation of the hardware. FPGAs are not based on magic, but physics.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Observer abaxor
Observer

Hi,

I tried IO_l06P_GC_3 (F12) to and had the same trouble. Why does MAP place the PLL into the top half if the clock is connected to the bottom half? How can I place the PLL manually?

I need an example.

Tom

0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi,

since PLLs are rare elements inside an FPGA they need to be instantiated one way or another.

When you have an instance of some element/primitive, you can apply an atttribute with a location constraint in your HDL, or add some location constraint in your UCF file.

Tools like PlanAhead or Floorplanner can assist you in this task.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

For example if you want to use PLL_ADV_X0Y1 use LOC constraint as below

INST instance_name LOC=PLL_ADV_X0Y1;

0 Kudos