UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer syedhuqa
Observer

Using BRAM instead of SRAM in Virtex-5 FPGA

Hi,

I am working on a project where we are capturing signals from an ADC using a Virtex-5 FPGA and the samples are being stored on a 128K x 256 SRAM from where the data samples are acquired by a PC. I believe the Virtex-5 provides an option for a BRAM and while I understand that the depth is nowhere close to what the SRAM provides, I'd like to make use of the BRAM option in the Virtex-5 as a buffer to hold the samples temporarily until they are acquired by the PC. How difficult would this be to implement ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Using BRAM instead of SRAM in Virtex-5 FPGA

Hi,

I do not think any difficulty in imlementing it you can use BRAM core to store ADC samples.

Please visit below web page and go trough the documentation for writing and reading details.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/Block_Memory_Generator.htm

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Re: Using BRAM instead of SRAM in Virtex-5 FPGA

@syedhuqa wrote:

Hi,

I am working on a project where we are capturing signals from an ADC using a Virtex-5 FPGA and the samples are being stored on a 128K x 256 SRAM from where the data samples are acquired by a PC. I believe the Virtex-5 provides an option for a BRAM and while I understand that the depth is nowhere close to what the SRAM provides, I'd like to make use of the BRAM option in the Virtex-5 as a buffer to hold the samples temporarily until they are acquired by the PC. How difficult would this be to implement ?

it's actually a lot easier to store your samples in the FPGA's BRAM instead of in external SRAM. 

All you need to do is to infer the amount of memory you need. Make it dual-port so the read side can be comlpetely decoupled from the write side. 

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos