UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rafi_11
Visitor

VIRTEX 5 clamping diodes switching time

Hello,

I would like to know how fast are the clamping diodes of the VIRTEX5's IOs.

Can I rely on the diodes to clamp overshoot/undershoot pulses with a width of about 1ns?

Thanks

Rafi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: VIRTEX 5 clamping diodes switching time

r,

The diodes are intrinsic to the CMOD fet output transistors:  they are as fast as the transistors themselves.

The IBIS files should be used to evaluate the transeint response.

All IO designs should be done such that the signal integrity ois as good as possible.  Under- and over- shoot causes  more system jitter, and may affect the reliability of the IO (if it exceeds the ABS MAX ratings).

The dynamic clamping behavior is very complex, and best modeled using a signal integrity tool with the IBIS files.  I use Hyperlynx, but there are other tools out there that are good to use as well.  I have seen excursions of greater than 1 volt, + or -, in 1 ns at the IO pin.  It isn't just the diode, it is the series transmission line effects in the package, interacting with the output devices.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I would like to know how fast are the clamping diodes of the VIRTEX5's IOs.

Can I rely on the diodes to clamp overshoot/undershoot pulses with a width of about 1ns?

There are two consideration:

• using the internal clamp diodes to clamp the external signal to a certain voltage
  • the power dissipation in the clamp diodes which limits the survivable duration and extent/degree of clamping

If you are interested in using the clamp diodes for external voltage limiting purposes, you should use external clamp diodes or follow Austin Lesea's advice with respect to circuit simulation.

If you are interested in permitted overshoot conditions, this information is in the Virtex-5 datasheet, DS202 Table 2, and also consult the V-5 User Guide UG190 sections which cover overshoot/undershoot..

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

hey guys

i need .hyp file of virtex 5 fpga board for my final year project. i will be very thankful to you!!

thanx

Tags (2)
0 Kudos