UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor flitch@home
Visitor

Virtex 5 configuration time (for CFI FLASH)

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are using a V5 FX130T device, that is self booting from external (CFI) FLASH using master parallel mode. Therefore the V5 does the entire boot process itself (big improvement over V4) by generating each address in turn etc.

I have selected CCLK in the bitgen.ut file. Not sure if this is used or not, but seems correct. There appears to be no control for frequency of CCLK and I have not attempted to measure it.

When we monitor an external pin that floats high during configuration it appears to be active for about 1.5 seconds. Is configuration really taking this long? As it is 16 bit parallel, I would expect it to be much faster.

Although we are loading SW from the same FLASH, I would expect the FPGA to configure as soon as it has got the bitstream.

So am I doing something wrong or are these times as expected?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Virtex 5 configuration time (for CFI FLASH)

Jump to solution

The XC5VFX130T has configuration size of 50.4Mbits, the nominal startup frequency for CCLK is 2 MHz and your data width is 16 bits.

Using this information, 50.4Mbits/2.0 MHz/16 bits, results in a time of 1.575secs which matches what you are seeing.

It is possible to increase the CCLK frequency using a bitgen option "-g ConfigRate #" where # is 2, 6, 9, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27, 31, 35, 38, 42, 46, 49, 53, 56, 60.

You need to be careful about how you set the ConfigRate to as there is a wide variance and you must not exceed the frequency of the CFI Flash interface.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The XC5VFX130T has configuration size of 50.4Mbits, the nominal startup frequency for CCLK is 2 MHz and your data width is 16 bits.

Using this information, 50.4Mbits/2.0 MHz/16 bits, results in a time of 1.575secs which matches what you are seeing.

It is possible to increase the CCLK frequency using a bitgen option "-g ConfigRate #" where # is 2, 6, 9, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27, 31, 35, 38, 42, 46, 49, 53, 56, 60.

You need to be careful about how you set the ConfigRate to as there is a wide variance and you must not exceed the frequency of the CFI Flash interface.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Visitor flitch@home
Visitor

Jump to solution

Fantastic, thanks.

Is there a definitive list of bitgen commands for V5 anywhere?

Best wishes

Peter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

In the ISE software manuals, open the Command Line Tools User Guide.  In version 11.4, chapter 15 is BitGen.

Barry

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Use the command line "bitgen -h <arch>" where arch is virtex4, virtex,5, spartan3, etc...