UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Virtex 6 IO not active but done pin asserts after configuration

Jump to solution

I have a Virtex6 (xc6vsx315t) on my board that has in intermittent FPGA configuration issue.  The DONE pin asserts after configuration, but from what I can tell the IO banks (1.5V) sometimes do not become active.  When I have an chipscope ILA in the bitstream I am able to communicate to it properly with JTAG (2.5V IO), but the 1.5V IO seems to sometime not become active.

A random guess is a problem related to the GTS deassertion but I have no understanding of a mechanism that would cause this to fail.  The settings for the startup sequence are the following:

DONE_cycle: 4

GTS_cycle: 5

GWE_cycle: 6

Has anyone seen this issue or know of a possible cause for this behavior?  I appreciate any help you can give

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Virtex 6 IO not active but done pin asserts after configuration

Jump to solution

Thanks for the insights on this issue.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

GTS, GWE are global:

They affect all IO (and GWE affects all storage elements - FF).

If the 1.5v IO appears affected, that would be the 1.5 volt Vcco power supply, or its connections to the device.

DONE is asserted as long as the Vcco for configuration is above the shut down value (~ 0.6 v).  So a mad power supply may not prevent DONE from going high.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.  That information about the global nature of GTS and GWE clarified an issue for me.  I now see all the steps of configuration must have completed since GWE allows chipscope to work.

Looking at the 1.5V IO, I cannot see any issues with it.  It is definitely 1.5V.  The only other thought I had was a possible transient on a power supply (Vcco or Vccaux) during the configuration that I messes things up.  I haven't been able to catch anything on an oscilloscope, but do you know of any things like that which seem to make since for what I've described?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

David,

A glitch that affects just one IO bank, and all the others not?  I see no way for this to occur.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the insights on this issue.

0 Kudos