UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

can i connect a 6volt power supply to the fpga virtix5 kit which needs 5 volt only?

Jump to solution

can i connect a 6volt power supply to the fpga virtix5 kit which needs 5 volt only?

and what will happen if i connect it to the 6 volt?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Re: can i connect a 6volt power supply to the fpga virtix5 kit which needs 5 volt only?

Jump to solution
its  XC5VFX30T  >>FXT
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: can i connect a 6volt power supply to the fpga virtix5 kit which needs 5 volt only?

Jump to solution
Appling 6V will exceed the maximum allowed voltage for a number of devices on the board and will likely cause damage to these devices.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Jump to solution
what about 4.5 volt ?
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

kimo_nasr88 wrote:
what about 4.5 volt ?

What are you trying to prove?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

If you're interested in using a board outside of the recommended specifications, have you considered looking at the schematics and figuring out where the 5V input goes?

Different boards have different configurations for wall-wart supplied power.  You haven't specified which "Virtex 5 kit" you have so we can't do the work for you by finding the schematics which are (usually) readily available to anyone (including you).

If the only things connected to the 5 volts are other regulators, you might be able to use an extended range but you really need to check every device for acceptable input range for the output voltages used.

0 Kudos
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Jump to solution

that is the problem i recevied a kit from the faculty's lab without any accessories or cables or manuales

the only thing that i can give you is to send you group of photos to the kit may be you can identify it

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4455506444_7ee3b87ba9_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4455508760_df2d288000_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4455504972_12d5b8de81_o.jpg

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Nu Horizons has two Virtex-5 boards that look like what you have, one for the FXT, one for the LXT device.  I'm not sure from the photos which device you have on board.  Both boards have very common power circuitry, though.

A quick scan shows the absolute minimum voltage for the LTM4601 is 4.5V and the maximum operating voltage of 5.5V for the LTC3026 LDOs (with an absolute maximum of 6.0V).

At 6V nominal input, you could fry the LDOs.  At 4.5V nominal input, you could have marginal output voltages on your switcher module.  You might be able to "work" between an absolute range (not nominal) of 4.5V to 5.5V having just looked at the power devices.  There may be more devices powered by the 5V rail.

I'd suggest you just stick with 5V.  If you're trying to run from a battery pack (hence the 1.5V multiples) you might be disappointed by the current draw of your board.  If that is the route you're going, use a 6V battery pack and regulate down to 5V with an LDO that can handle the board current. Even then, you might fall out of regulation when the batteries are more than half full.  You really should try to get an A/C supply hooked up.

0 Kudos
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Jump to solution

thanks a lot you've been a great  help

can you give me any link to this kit documentation ? 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Choose which Virtex-5 kit is appropriate from this page:

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/index.asp?supplier=Nu+Horizons

They look like the same board but they target different parts.  Look closely at the label on your Xilinx chip to determine which you have: FXT or LXT.

0 Kudos
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Jump to solution
its  XC5VFX30T  >>FXT
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Sooo... click on the link for the Virtex-5 FXT device... from the webpage I linked to.
0 Kudos
Visitor kimo_nasr88
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks a lot john you've been a great help to me
0 Kudos