UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image processing in virtex5

Jump to solution

hi,

i want to implement image processing in virtex5. Is it possible? if yes.. then in which format i will store the image data in the kit and how. plz give me suggestion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: image processing in virtex5

Jump to solution

i want to implement image processing in virtex5. Is it possible?

Yes, of course.

if yes.. then in which format i will store the image data in the kit and how. plz give me suggestion.

If you are thinking of a specific development board, and want to use as much of the reference design as possible, you need to refer to the reference design for guidance.  Do you have a development board in mind?

In the Virtex-5 family, for example, the ML50x series of development boards have VGA input and VGA + DVI output.

If this is a new FPGA design and a new board design, this is a question which should be left to the FPGA or system designer, based on the product requirements.  Do you have a set of product requirements or personal preferences?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

i want to implement image processing in virtex5. Is it possible?

Yes, of course.

if yes.. then in which format i will store the image data in the kit and how. plz give me suggestion.

If you are thinking of a specific development board, and want to use as much of the reference design as possible, you need to refer to the reference design for guidance.  Do you have a development board in mind?

In the Virtex-5 family, for example, the ML50x series of development boards have VGA input and VGA + DVI output.

If this is a new FPGA design and a new board design, this is a question which should be left to the FPGA or system designer, based on the product requirements.  Do you have a set of product requirements or personal preferences?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@friendswagata@gmail.com wrote:

hi,

i want to implement image processing in virtex5. Is it possible? if yes.. then in which format i will store the image data in the kit and how. plz give me suggestion.

The field of "Image processing" is so vast as to make your question rather pointless. Perhaps narrow it down to the specific sort of image processing you wish to perform.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

The field of "Image processing" is so vast as to make your question rather pointless. Perhaps narrow it down to the specific sort of image processing you wish to perform.

Let's hope he gets the picture...

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
hi,
thanks for your reply.
We are using Virtex 5 kit(ML50x series) to implement morphological image processing.
we have already converted an image into binary image in matlab.
the main problem is that..... we don't able to understand in which format(.coe or other) and how we will store this binary image in the virtex5 kit.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

You have three problems:

1.  How to upload your image into on-board memory.

2.  How to access the image data with your image processing logic.

3.  What to do with the processed image result.

For #1:

• You can use IMPACT to load this data to one of the onboard memories (you'll need to check which memory has enough available space).
  • You can use one of the data ports to upload the image data from a PC or MAC (e.g. ethernet, serial), and write a MicroBlaze routine to receive the data and store it to memory.
  • You can write a hardware function to receive and process the data directly from the input port (this works best with the serial port, this is the simplest interface).

For #2:

• You can have the hardware image processing logic access the stored (in PROM) data directly
  • You can write a MicroBlaze routine to fetch the data from PROM and feed it to the image procesor logic, and write the processed data back to the PROM.

For #3:

You have basically the same options as #1, only in reverse.

It would be easier to answer your question if we knew how much data are in the unprocessed and processed images.

Your first move is to go through the Reference Designs User Guide (UG349) and see what the onboard memory and IO ports possibilities are.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:

Jump to solution

Hi,

According to your previous suggestion,we have tried with iMPACT to store image in PROM. as because PROM cannot suport other than .bit file...So we are unable to store the image. Plz give us some suggestions regarding the image storing in FPGA(virtex5, Spartan 3E).

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@friendswagata@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Plz give us some suggestions regarding the image storing in FPGA(virtex5, Spartan 3E).

Uh, he did. re-read his post.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Observer fradaric
Observer

Jump to solution

Dear,

Will it work if I convert the 256*256 image to a coe format and initialize the RAM with this file?.

F Joe

Joe
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Jump to solution

What RAM, block RAM? Maybe, depends on the number of bits per pixel and the size of the BRAM.

External SDRAM? No.

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

can you elaborate on how to write a hardware function to receive and process data directly from the input port?

share any links if possible

i am using virtex5 lx50t kit

thank you

0 Kudos